Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My "new" IDPA Franken-foglio

djb25

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

This is a list of ALL allowed modifications/features for an ESP gun. If holes in the frame aren't on the list, they aren't legal. I don't really care either way, I'm just telling you what the rules say and trying to prevent you from getting nailed at a major match. IDPA sort of has a history of that.

Honestly, the IDPA rules are so poorly written its no wonder people have such trouble.

Full length dustcovers used to be an excluded feature under ESP, but they removed that section in the latest version of the rules. But a full-length dustcover isn't listed in the "permitted features and modifications" - so how is it now legal? 

Or, to get really ridiculous, are non-full-length dustcovers legal? One of the "features" of the regular CZ-75 Shadow versus the SP-01 is that it doesn't have a full-length dustcover. So... which is legal?

How about something a little less pedantic? There's something else missing from the "inclusive" list - RAILS. There's no language in there saying that an ESP gun can have a railed dustcover (full-length or otherwise). 

Maybe you could argue that the length of the dustcover isn't really a "feature" - but a rail? It gives the gun the ability to mount a light or laser or whatever. That's definitely a feature. 

Anyway... I mostly shoot local matches, and I have a few "fully legal" pistols that I can use if I end up in a more serious match. 

4 hours ago, djb25 said:

Honestly, the IDPA rules are so poorly written its no wonder people have such trouble.

Full length dustcovers used to be an excluded feature under ESP, but they removed that section in the latest version of the rules. But a full-length dustcover isn't listed in the "permitted features and modifications" - so how is it now legal? 

Or, to get really ridiculous, are non-full-length dustcovers legal? One of the "features" of the regular CZ-75 Shadow versus the SP-01 is that it doesn't have a full-length dustcover. So... which is legal?

How about something a little less pedantic? There's something else missing from the "inclusive" list - RAILS. There's no language in there saying that an ESP gun can have a railed dustcover (full-length or otherwise). 

Maybe you could argue that the length of the dustcover isn't really a "feature" - but a rail? It gives the gun the ability to mount a light or laser or whatever. That's definitely a feature. 

Anyway... I mostly shoot local matches, and I have a few "fully legal" pistols that I can use if I end up in a more serious match. 

Personally, I'd say they're legal since they came on the gun from the manufacturer, as mentioned I'd just get it OK'd with HQ before shooting a major match with it.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

If the holes come with the original firearm, why is it modification even?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IDPA isn't USPSA. As @waktasz said early on, factory features and aftermarket changes are treated identically there.

If the feature isn't listed as okay, then any gun bearing it isn't legal.

Persoanlly I'd find set screws threaded to fit those holes and locktite them down in there flush. Make it truly ridiculous for anyone to say anything about frame lightening. It'd look pretty cool too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

IDPA isn't USPSA. As @waktasz said early on, factory features and aftermarket changes are treated identically there.

If the feature isn't listed as okay, then any gun bearing it isn't legal.

I believe by this definition, the G34 extended mag release button makes the gun illegal too, because that extended mag release (especially the newer ones) is way over the max allowed 0.2'' by the rule, even though it comes from factory on some of the G34 guns. 

I hope it does. That would be awesome if the predominant gun in the sport were suddenly illegal. Maybe their shooters would ditch the vests and come have some fun on the dark side.

I shot IDPA exclusively for 7 years. I don't have any desire to go back.

Although I'm sure Robert Ray will publish a "nah that one's good" if pressed. His writings are about that formal. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 0:15 PM, himurax13 said:

My .40 was just a touch over 42 ounces with an empty mag. The 9mm was over by like a quarter of an ounce.

The beavertail is less pronounced than the higher end Tanfoglio models so it fits in the box easier.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

On 3/8/2017 at 0:15 PM, himurax13 said:

My .40 was just a touch over 42 ounces with an empty mag. The 9mm was over by like a quarter of an ounce.

The beavertail is less pronounced than the higher end Tanfoglio models so it fits in the box easier.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The PD guide rod will get you there.

• 4 weeks later...