Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DNROI Rulings for Showdown and Outer Limits

ZackJones

<<<An aiming point no more than 2' high will be placed in front of each shooting box 10' forward of the box>>>   

This wording allows the aiming point to be anywhere from ground level to 2' high.    

This should read:  <<<An aiming point set 2' high will be placed in front of each shooting box 10' forward of the box>>>

Why was Showdown changed?    There was no  problem with the start positions on Showdown,  with the old set up the stage

was shot several different ways from both boxes.    Now it appears to be a new ROUNDABOUT from both shooting boxes.

The only problem was the crazy start position on Outer Limits.    

regards, Karl @ GT 

Although the rules say the aiming point is 2' high I've seen everything from spots on the ground up to 2+ feet tall markers used. With the new wording the MD's have some flexibility and don't have to have a flag exactly 2' high. 

Showdown was a clarification for how many strings you could shoot before moving to the other box and by putting a flag in front of each box we are consistent across all 8 stages now. 

I think that is good Zack. I was always prepared to shoot Showdown either way when it came to the aiming point and had different sequences depending on where they were. Now I can stick with one sequence and hopefully get better since I won't have to practice the other way.:D

I think SHOWDOWN has changed more than you realize by changing the start positions.   Each stage is unique and has different challenges.    I can not remember how many different start positions have been used by SC since 22 was started,   each time there was something that needed to be fixed.    This stage is one that did not need to be changed.

later      

We need to have a set height for the aiming point. One match has them on the ground another has 24" high. There is a huge difference in the start position. This should not be left to a directors choice. it makes the stages different from one match to the next. 

10 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

We need to have a set height for the aiming point. One match has them on the ground another has 24" high. There is a huge difference in the start position. This should not be left to a directors choice. it makes the stages different from one match to the next. 

Considering that the current rule DOESN'T give MDs a choice, and yet you say they are doing it anyway...has anyone pointed out to the MDs of those matches that the aiming point was incorrect?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 6:49 AM, Thomas H said:

Considering that the current rule DOESN'T give MDs a choice, and yet you say they are doing it anyway...has anyone pointed out to the MDs of those matches that the aiming point was incorrect?

<<An aiming point no more than 2' high will be placed in front of each shooting box 10' forward of the box>>>   

This wording allows the aiming point to be anywhere from ground level to 2' high.    

This is the current DNROI ruling. It is still vague

16 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

<<An aiming point no more than 2' high will be placed in front of each shooting box 10' forward of the box>>>   

This is the current DNROI ruling. It is still vague

So when the rules say:

"Approximately 2' high" and the DNROI ruling says "no more than 2' high" ......you think that "ground level" is close enough to "approximately 2' high" to be reasonable for anyone, and so the ruling is vague?

Okay.

I personally find "approximately 2' high" means "make it about 2' high, but if you are off by an inch or two, life will go on" and anything outside of that should get fixed--and if I'm not the MD, I'll talk to the MD and ask them to fix it, assuming they care about the rules.

Thinking that "on the ground" is "approximately 2' high" makes no sense, and using it as an argument point similarly makes no sense.

I will clarify that the aiming flag should be centered in front of the box. The height of it really doesn't warrant any discussion, IMO. People aim at the general direction of the flag/post. As long as everyone shooting that match has the same thing to aim at it's good to go. Next  thing you know someone will say the aiming flag has to be set using a transit.

7 hours ago, ZackJones said:

I will clarify that the aiming flag should be centered in front of the box. The height of it really doesn't warrant any discussion, IMO. People aim at the general direction of the flag/post. As long as everyone shooting that match has the same thing to aim at it's good to go. Next  thing you know someone will say the aiming flag has to be set using a transit.

Zack the aiming point is critical. It should be stated in the rules that it is 24" high. There is a heck of a difference from one match to the next when some are putting it on the ground and some at two feet. 

"Aiming in the general direction isn't a legal start" The shooter must be pointing at the start point.    If It doesn't matter then why in the center-fire divisions does it say wrists must be visible above the shoulders" Because there has to be a minimum acceptable start point.

Remember every sanctioned match is a qualifier so they should all be set up the same.  We are not playing horse shoes......close enough doesn't count here