Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having someone point an UNLOADED gun at me.

AzShooter

While waiting for a lane to open at our local range I was sitting in the lounge.  Three older gentlemen came in and were signing up to shoot.  One takes his gun out of his holster to show his friend and ends up pointing it directly at me.  

I yelled for him to put it away.  His answer was " It's not loaded".  I reminded him of the first rule : all guns are loaded.  He laughed that off.

It wouldn't have surprised me as much if it  were a new shooter but these three guys were in their 70s.

I apologized to the range staff for over stepping my bounds yelling for the guy to put the gun away and they told me everything is all right.  I followed the rules even though they didn't catch it this time.

You most certainly did not overstep your bounds. Anybody can act as a safety range officer if they see such a violation as this. If you saw a shooter down range changing a target, and someone was pointing a gun downrange you would yell stop. The RO should have had a talk with the shooter and reinstructed him in firearm safety rules. If the guy tried to laugh that off, then he's gone for the day.