Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 MOS Carry Optics NEED HELP!

Hello everyone,

This is my first time starting a post. I have been shooting USPSA for a little over a year and I am now starting to have some issues with my Glock 34 MOS with a Trijicon RMR. I was awarded a slot from my section coordinator for Optics Nationals in 3 weeks (not a good time to start having gun problems).  This will be my second major and I would really hate to fly down to Florida (or any match) and have equipment problems. I would greatly appreciate some help.

General information:

about 20,000 rounds in the gun

clean the gun every 2000-3000 rounds

zev spring kit from day 1

Shooting reloads (9mm 135gr Bayou Bullets w/ 132 PF)

1. Brass to optic. This has been happening for a long time. The gun still functioned fine. Optic has brass marks all over the ejection port side and glass. It seems like the optic is smacking the brass forward. When I called Glock, they told me I had to send the gun to them and they would check it out. It was not really an option at the time because of my first major.

2. The gun goes into slide lock with rounds still in the mag. This happened a lot with my factory installed extended slide release (after many rounds). I then took it out with no slide lock issues. I ended up putting a factory non-extended slide release in and it was fine. Now it is starting to happen again.  

3. The gun will not go into slide lock with empty mag. Some people do not see this being an issue for competitive shooting but, I personal like it. This may not be much of an issue anymore because of the round limit for carry optics being lifted. I am using factory mags with Taran Tactical +6 base pads with 10% stronger spring (meets 140 mag length requirement).

4. Stovepipes and feeding problems. This issue started happening about a week ago, and it is starting to happen often. This does not happen with any specific mag or a specific number of rounds in them. It seems to happen randomly. I have messed around with a #11 recoil spring and a factory recoil spring with the same issue. I have not changed my load data and it has been proven in the past.

If you need any more information I can gladly provide it. I would appreciate any help with these issues. I would hate to do any major work to the gun before Nationals but I am simply out of options at this point with the match only being 3 weeks away and do not have a backup. Thanks in advance.

13 pound recoil spring may fix it. Sounds like it's short stroking those mouse fart loads. You might triple check your powder drop to make sure nothing really has changed.

Check the extractor, extractor channel and spring/plunger.  It is possible for carbon build-up to accumulate in the channel/slot.  Also check the extractor hook, unlikely to be damaged but possible.

I ran a 13lb spring on my G34 (non-MOS/red dot).  With the added weight of the dot, it may just need that extra umph to go into battery.

Slide lock - make sure the spring is installed corrected and not bound up. Simple and silly I know, but it's happened before.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

13 pound recoil spring may fix it. Sounds like it's short stroking those mouse fart loads. You might triple check your powder drop to make sure nothing really has changed.

5 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Check the extractor, extractor channel and spring/plunger.  It is possible for carbon build-up to accumulate in the channel/slot.  Also check the extractor hook, unlikely to be damaged but possible.

I ran a 13lb spring on my G34 (non-MOS/red dot).  With the added weight of the dot, it may just need that extra umph to go into battery.

Slide lock - make sure the spring is installed corrected and not bound up. Simple and silly I know, but it's happened before.

Thanks for the suggestions I will take a look at all of this on the gun and order a 13 lb recoil spring today. I might as well change all of the springs. At 20,000 rounds, it won't hurt. Thanks again for all the info. If anyone else has had similar experiences with this, I would like to hear about them. 

Hello: I am using a 12lb Wolff spring in my 34 MOS with a Vortex Viper. Seems to work just fine. I do use a 13lb ISMI spring in my standard Glock 34. Sounds like your slide stop spring is either week or installed on the wrong side of the pin. Ejection problem could be the ejector is bent at the wrong angle or related to the strong recoil spring. Thanks, Eric

Could be as simple as your hand touching or interfering the slide inadvertently. Had those jams sprung up on me lately in my 2011s. Thought it was the gun. Changed to another gun and experienced the same problem. I could swear it was not my hand coz my grip was pretty tested and solid for a long time. But a hundred rounds of high speed shooting on close targets revealed it was my shooting thumb intermittently and very lightly pressing on the slide. 

Edited by BoyGlock

5 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Could be as simple as your hand touching or interfering the slide inadvertently. Had those jams sprung up on me lately in my 2011s. Thought it was the gun. Changed to another gun and experienced the same problem. I could swear it was not my hand coz my grip was pretty tested and solid for a long time. But a hundred rounds of high speed shooting on close targets revealed it was my shooting thumb intermittently and very lightly pressing on the slide. 

This was considered and I was paying more attention to it. I do not see this being the issue. Even the RO from practice was looking for that and limp wristing. He did not see any issues with the way I was shooting. Thank you for your input. It's always appreciated.  He also use to be a Glock armor (let cert. expire). He did not fully inspect the firearm but I will be taking it down and doing a thorough review of it today (probably should have done that in the first place.) I trust Glocks quality and workmanship but let's face it...manufacturing is never perfect. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 2:14 PM, Scott Steele said:

Magazine springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late response. The issues is the TTI magazine springs. I called TTI and they sent me new springs. I took the magazines apart and cleaned them. Then put the new springs in. Now the follower is turning about half way through the mag. I called TTI yesterday and a tech is suppose to call me back sometime this morning.

Also, the gun works 100% of the time with factory base pads and springs

Edited by Got2beshooting

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what your grip looks like, but it could be the cause of #2 and #3. If your grip is high, you might bump the slide lock under recoil which could either lock the slide back prematurely or keep the slide lock from engaging when it should.
I personally have given up on the slide locking back on empty [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...