Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 MOS issues NEED HELP!

Hello everyone,

This is my first time starting a post. I have been shooting USPSA for a little over a year and I am now starting to have some issues with my Glock 34 MOS with a Trijicon RMR. I was awarded a slot from my section coordinator for Optics Nationals in 3 weeks (not a good time to start having gun problems).  This will be my second major and I would really hate to fly down to Florida (or any match) and have equipment problems. I would greatly appreciate some help.

General information:

about 20,000 rounds in the gun

clean the gun every 2000-3000 rounds

zev spring kit from day 1

Shooting reloads (9mm 135gr Bayou Bullets w/ 132 PF)

1. Brass to optic. This has been happening for a long time. The gun still functioned fine. Optic has brass marks all over the ejection port side and glass. It seems like the optic is smacking the brass forward. When I called Glock, they told me I had to send the gun to them and they would check it out. It was not really an option at the time because of my first major.

2. The gun goes into slide lock with rounds still in the mag. This happened a lot with my factory installed extended slide release (after many rounds). I then took it out with no slide lock issues. I ended up putting a factory non-extended slide release in and it was fine. Now it is starting to happen again.  

3. The gun will not go into slide lock with empty mag. Some people do not see this being an issue for competitive shooting but, I personal like it. This may not be much of an issue anymore because of the round limit for carry optics being lifted. I am using factory mags with Taran Tactical +6 base pads with 10% stronger spring (meets 140 mag length requirement).

4. Stovepipes and feeding problems. This issue started happening about a week ago, and it is starting to happen often. This does not happen with any specific mag or a specific number of rounds in them. It seems to happen randomly. I have messed around with a #11 recoil spring and a factory recoil spring with the same issue. I have not changed my load data and it has been proven in the past.

If you need any more information I can gladly provide it. I would appreciate any help with these issues. I would hate to do any major work to the gun before Nationals but I am simply out of options at this point with the match only being 3 weeks away and do not have a backup. Thanks in advance.

Well unfortunately you don't have a lot of time for testing different parts one at a time and seeing what works. You might want to try to find a local Glock armorer to take it to; have him look it over and see what parts need replacing.

Have you tried a new slide stop to fix the premature slide lock issue and slide not locking back on empty issue? Also these issues can occur if you have the slide stop installed incorrectly. When reassembling the frame you need to install the locking block pin before putting the slide stop in.

What recoil spring have you mostly been using? Have you changed it out ever? And check the extractor for cracks/chips.

Also, have you checked your mags with TTI extensions in a mag gauge? I've had multiple TTI extensions not fit the gauge so you definitely want to check this before going to Nationals.

Edited by Southpaw

maybe try getting it back to box stock (mags, springs, parts, etc) and then replacing one part at a time?

also maybe try some factory ammo, perhaps something got out of spec.  i rarely see glocks fail at various uspsa and 3 gun matches but when i do it seems to be those with reloads or different recoil springs.

I would definitely try a new extractor as well as slide stop.  There is a spring if thats what you want to call it and that could wear out eventually.  Also check to make sure its installed correctly.  You can check your recoil spring by dry firing the gun and holding the trigger to the rear.  Then rack and release the slide slowly easing it forward.  If the gun doesn't go in to battery you need a new spring.  I suspect the jambs are a result of the extractor though.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

15 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Well unfortunately you don't have a lot of time for testing different parts one at a time and seeing what works. You might want to try to find a local Glock armorer to take it to; have him look it over and see what parts need replacing.

Have you tried a new slide stop to fix the premature slide lock issue and slide not locking back on empty issue? Also these issues can occur if you have the slide stop installed incorrectly. When reassembling the frame you need to install the locking block pin before putting the slide stop in.

What recoil spring have you mostly been using? Have you changed it out ever? And check the extractor for cracks/chips.

Also, have you checked your mags with TTI extensions in a mag gauge? I've had multiple TTI extensions not fit the gauge so you definitely want to check this before going to Nationals.

Thanks for the info. I checked the slide stop and it is installed correctly. I ordered one today. I have been using mostly the 11 lb spring but the issues continues with the factory spring. I ordered an ISMI 11, 13, and a 15 lb spring to test. Someone at my local club has an official mag gauge and all of the TTI extensions fit it. I also ordered all new springs (zev spring kit again) extractor (with new spring) and ejector. They should arrive by monday. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE. The issues is the TTI magazine springs. I called TTI and they sent me new springs. I took the magazines apart and cleaned them. Then put the new springs in. Now the follower is turning about half way through the mag. I called TTI yesterday and a tech is suppose to call me back sometime this morning.

Also, The gun works 100% of the time with factory base pads and springs

Edited by Got2beshooting