Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 s&w 180gr xtreme rnfp with titegroup making major pf

the_t0ny

I was curious if anyone else had a recipe to make minor power factor out of a glock 22 or 35 using titegroup, xtreme plated 180gr rnfp, and Winchester small pistol primers? 

I chrono'd some rounds and had to up the powder charge to 4.9gr of titegroup at 1.125 overall length to get it to make major pf out of a stock glock 22. Lyman's 49th states 4.7gr as the max charge. I inspected the cases afterwards and didn't see any signs of overpressure on the primer. Should I play with the overall length or put a little bit more crimp on the round to lower the powder charge below the recommended max. 

And if you have a load that uses 180gr xtreme rnfp and titegroup powder, please share if you don't mind. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

1.125 180 xtreme 4.6 titegroup got me a 170pf. 

Minor with a 180 xtreme I would guess to be around 3.5 or 3.6

Out of which gun? When I tried 4.6gr of titegroup behind a 180gr xtreme rnfp at 1.125 oal and was only able to get about 890fps/160pf out of my stock glock 22. The recoil felt great but it didn't make major. 

I was loading 4.6 grains of Titegroup with Xtreme 180 grain rnfp to make major out of my G35.  Groups were bad and many bullets tumbled.  I ended up switching to AA#5 and had much better results.  

I use Titegroup for minor loads and have been VERY happy.  I switched to Blue Bullets and load 3.2 grains for .40 production and IDPA.  Super soft and fantastic accuracy.

Shoot TG for a long time in a STI loaded to 1.200

Then found WST was politer so went to that

TG was consistent but on hoser stages the gun was hot at the end of the stage and was hard on any bullet but jacketed

I shoot a lot of Bayou hytec coated so WST is my go to for 40

13 hours ago, 57K said:

I have the Lyman Pistol & Revolver III and thought that data was identical to the Lyman 49th. That's what I found in cross referencing some loads to my shooting partner's 49th edition. Maybe I didn't check the .40 S&W data, but in the P&R III, Lyman didn't use TiteGroup in any .40 S&W load. Also, because of pistols that don't give complete support of the case-head, Lyman loads are held at or below 24,000 CUP. The older measuring system but well below the SAAMI limit of 35,000 PSI for the cartridge. From years back, SPEER sent me "medium velocity" data where they held pressure at or below 28,000 PSI. Some charges are a tad higher, some a tad lower than the Lyman 24,000 CUP data. Likewise, they didn't use TiteGroup either.

I would check the Hodgdon Reloading website if you must use TG. They did not restrict their loads and will run closer to the 35,000 PSI limit. Then again,I'd use a different powder. One that burns cooler and doesn't have to run at near Max Pressure to make Major. WST was mentioned and #5, WSF, Silhouette and True Blue are very good .40 powders on the slow end of suitable burn rates. Then you have faster burners like WST, N320, AA #2, W231/HP38, ZIP and the new Alliant Sport Pistol just to name a few. At Lyman Pressure, they claimed best accuracy with W231 and AA#5. AA#2 and ZIP are very similar to W231 but burn cleaner which is about the only knock on W231.

I checked hodgdons website andnit stated 4.7gr was the max charge for tite group. Maybe I got it mixed up with Lyman's 49th, I'll have to double check the book to see if there is a 40 recipe using tite group. 

14 hours ago, the_t0ny said:

I checked hodgdons website andnit stated 4.7gr was the max charge for tite group. Maybe I got it mixed up with Lyman's 49th, I'll have to double check the book to see if there is a 40 recipe using tite group. 

I think the loading manuals are talking about the standard length ...not loading longer like 1.180.