Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan MSRP Changes

jschweg

More of a curiosity/opinion thing, but what do you guys think about the base price of the Trojan recently going up to $1500? I managed to pick one up at $1200 before the recent price change, but wondering how this gun stacks up against others in it's new price bracket.

I always considered the Trojan to be an amazing gun for a little over 1000ish bucks (which is why I bought one), but do you think this changes things?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

If you're shooting 9mm or .45, that's getting into Dan Wesson territory.  PM9 is $1380 on GB all day.  Although you can still find some Trojans on GB for $1200, at $1500 MSRP, street price is going to be around $1350.  I'd take the DW.  Easy choice IMHO.  

I know I haven't shot single stack in 4+ years, and sold my trojan back then. But dang, my trojan with all the dawson goodies and a new finish was cheaper than that! Whats with the price hikes? Way better options in the new price range.

STI makes fine guns, and I have been very pleased with their customer service as well, but that price seems a bit high for the standard finish on that gun, unless they have upgraded the internal parts somewhat. I could see $1500 for the hard chrome model. I have a 2 sti's and a pm9, and I would happily buy more of either at the right price.

21 hours ago, al503 said:

If you're shooting 9mm or .45, that's getting into Dan Wesson territory.  PM9 is $1380 on GB all day.  Although you can still find some Trojans on GB for $1200, at $1500 MSRP, street price is going to be around $1350.  I'd take the DW.  Easy choice IMHO.  

I've got a Trojan 9 and a DW PM9, and i completely agree if price is close to equal definitely go with PM9. Both great guns but PM9 just a slightly higher quality gun.

Deck the SA Range officer out.

Buy Mags, Belt,Pouches and Holster and still have a bunch of money left for ammo/components.

And I always thought completion was supposed to drive prices down?!

apparently not at the employee owned business in Georgetown TX!  Prices are going up in Georgetown though!!!

Summary

Worth the money at 1000 and not much more. IMO

On 3/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Since guns sales are in the toilet right now I am not sure it is a good time to raise prices? Lots of options in the 1911 market if you want a 9mm or a 45acp but not many if you want a 40 S&W. Thanks, Eric

Trojan  in .40 Cal is discontinued... the ONLY .40 Cal Single Stack available now from STI is the  DVC Classic...  Makes no sense to me, have to wonder  what is happening @ STI lately.

Edited by 2011BLDR

Hello: I am guessing STI is going by numbers on what they want to sell? Or they have a new single stack coming out that will replace the Trojan in 40 S&W. Seems like a good time for Springfield to jump into the 1911 40 S&W market. Thanks, Eric

Yea I really don't get why there aren't more 5" 1911s in .40 as it's the caliber for competition. The market can't really be that smal for .40.

I think SIG is the only one that still produces .40s besides STI in a 5" barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yea I really don't get why there aren't more 5" 1911s in .40 as it's the caliber for competition. The market can't really be that smal for .40.

Perhaps it's because manly men shoot 45, and the princesses that want .40 are just as likely to go full custom.

Just now, SlvrDragon50 said:

emoji23.png I would happily shoot 45 if it weren't for the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wut?

200gr 40 costs pretty much the same as 200gr 45, and brass is free. although admitedly i do keep closer track of my 45 brass, and sometimes work a SS-only match to replenish the supply. The difference between driving my truck vs my little car to the range is way more than the diff between 40 and 45 brass.