Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New in SW Ohio

JeremiahD

Greetings all, I'm very new to USPSA and am at the point where I know just enough to understand theres much, much more I don't know.

I just started getting my feet wet at the end of December with some local club matches originally to expand my skills beyond punching paper at the static range.  After 6 or 8 trips and learning something new each time about my limitations, its bit hard and I'm interested in taking this seriously.  I'm at the point where I sent off for an associate membership for this year, and we will see where this take me.

Glad to be here, I have alot to learn!

There are a whole bunch of very good people shooting USPSA in and around SW Ohio. We are here to help so don't be afraid to pick our brains.

Curious though, where are you shooting matches in SW Ohio this time of year?

9 minutes ago, JeremiahD said:

Ive been participating in Miamisburg Sportsmans clubs monday shoot. 

Thank you for the offer, I have alot of reading up to do here but i will certainly ask for help at some point! 

Yeah Monday night up there is ok as far as getting trigger time and getting a feel for rules, range commands etc. However, you'll be amazed when you actually get out to the real matches that start up this month. Totally different animal and infinitely more fun. 

You can read these forums until you can't see straight any longer but being there at matches is where you really learn. Look forward to seeing you at a match. There is a match every weekend in our Southern Ohio Section. :)

Edited by Sarge

Yes, it does seem pretty laid back. I'm looking forward to the outdoor matches.

Speaking of, I understand there's a classifier the third sunday of this month (19th) at Miamisburg. I was considering running it just for the experience. Any reason I shouldn't at this stage?

How can I find local matches in our section? I can only find major matches on the USPSA website.  I would like to see what I can fit on my calendar as early as possible!

Thanks again!

By all means shoot the classifier! 

uspsa SA has a club finder feature. You put in your zip code and select a mileage radius and it lists clubs.(matches)

But here is what you'll find for monthly matches

First Saturday- PCSI Circleville

First Sunday- IWLA OXFORD

Second Saturday- Clinton county farmers

Third Sunday- Miamisburg

Fourth Sunday- MRPC

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

By all means shoot the classifier! 

uspsa SA has a club finder feature. You put in your zip code and select a mileage radius and it lists clubs.(matches)

But here is what you'll find for monthly matches

First Saturday- PCSI Circleville

First Sunday- IWLA OXFORD

Second Saturday- Clinton county farmers

Third Sunday- Miamisburg

Fourth Sunday- MRPC

Excellent, thank you very much!  I've also bookmarked the calendar for each of those clubs websites as well.  I should be able to make at least 3 of those monthly no problem.

Welcome to the forums Jeremiah!

For sure you should shoot the classifier match. You've already came a long way and have demonstrated some safe gun handling.  So you should not hesitate to jump into any of the local club matches. The classifier match will just be a skills test and not really have much movement (if any at all), but it will get you classified in a Division quickly. You'll get 6 classifier stages and as long as you get 4 scores over 2%, you'll achieve your classification from just doing this match. If it's not to far to drive, come out at 3:30 on the Saturday before any match. Extra help setting up is always welcome, you'll learn some things about stage design and it gives you a chance to see the stages ahead of time.

On a normal club match, you'll get more dynamic movement vs our Monday matches. The courses are 3D vs what we're stuck with on the indoor range.

15 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

Greetings all, I'm very new to USPSA and am at the point where I know just enough to understand theres much, much more I don't know.

I just started getting my feet wet at the end of December with some local club matches originally to expand my skills beyond punching paper at the static range.  After 6 or 8 trips and learning something new each time about my limitations, its bit hard and I'm interested in taking this seriously.  I'm at the point where I sent off for an associate membership for this year, and we will see where this take me.

Glad to be here, I have alot to learn!

Hi Jeremiah,

SW Ohio also has a strong 3-Gun community - there's usually 2-3 matches happening every month between the Monthly match at Clinton County and the matches that are run at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds.  Hit me up if you'd like more information.

Best,

John

10 minutes ago, gransport said:

Welcome to the forums Jeremiah!

For sure you should shoot the classifier match. You've already came a long way and have demonstrated some safe gun handling.  So you should not hesitate to jump into any of the local club matches. The classifier match will just be a skills test and not really have much movement (if any at all), but it will get you classified in a Division quickly. You'll get 6 classifier stages and as long as you get 4 scores over 2%, you'll achieve your classification from just doing this match. If it's not to far to drive, come out at 3:30 on the Saturday before any match. Extra help setting up is always welcome, you'll learn some things about stage design and it gives you a chance to see the stages ahead of time.

On a normal club match, you'll get more dynamic movement vs our Monday matches. The courses are 3D vs what we're stuck with on the indoor range.

Thanks for the compliment Shayne. Coming from you, that's a pretty big one.

(by the way, thanks for the advice on my reloads tumbling a few weeks ago. I went home and pulled a few an found I had not flared the case enough and was shaving the projectile on one side/edge!)

I'm definitely doing the classifier on the 19th!  I wasn't sure if there was some sort of natural progression that I should go through before doing one... this is all new to me.

I'm only about 15 minutes away from the club so I will be there on Saturday to help out.  I assume as a non-member I'll still be able to get in the gate somehow?

5 minutes ago, RolexJohn said:

Hi Jeremiah,

SW Ohio also has a strong 3-Gun community - there's usually 2-3 matches happening every month between the Monthly match at Clinton County and the matches that are run at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds.  Hit me up if you'd like more information.

Best,

John

Hi John, thanks for the heads up.  I would certainly be interested.

5 minutes ago, JeremiahD said:

Hi John, thanks for the heads up.  I would certainly be interested.

The MVSG Practice Sessions and Matches are normally announced on this FB Group:

https://www.facebook.com/Miami-Valley-Steel-Shooters-909925789073724/

Great place to get your feet wet in 3-Gun!

Sounds like you've already bookmarked the CCFSA calendar - the monthly 3-gun match is on it.