Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Milling/Optic Cuts

hlpressley

Just received my G17 slide back from the folks at DP Custom Works LLC.  I wanted to have my slide milled to accept a Trijicon RMR, tall sights to help with co-witness, and front and top serrations to aide in racking the slide for unloaded starts.  To my surprise when I reached out to them to inquire about the services and to ask a few questions not only did I get a quick, professional, and thorough response, it was from Doug himself, the owner of the company!  The entire transaction was handled quickly, professionally and the end result is second to none!  The overall fit, finish, and look is great!  He even handled the Cerakote for me through a partner company also in North Carolina, Weapon Works LLC.  I am not easily impressed, but I am extremely impressed with how this entire transaction was handled.  Modern services provided the old fashioned way!  My G34 slide is on it's way to him tomorrow!  

http://www.dpcustomworksllc.com/

3FB32A78-9044-4052-BB9E-6345CEE0EDCF.jpg

19058420-584D-411B-A78B-42D561192898.jpg

6A2E3214-FFCA-4A9D-8274-B5F56C0CA12F.jpg

Edited by hlpressley

You don't need co-witness sights for competition. USPSA Open Gun Division has been around for decades. That's just a bunch of Tactical Teddy nonsense started by Gabe Suarez. Magic mods and cool looks don't count, only results. 

17 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

You don't need co-witness sights for competition. USPSA Open Gun Division has been around for decades. That's just a bunch of Tactical Teddy nonsense started by Gabe Suarez. Magic mods and cool looks don't count, only results. 

I will be sure to ask your opinion the next time I want to have some mods done to my gun. Start holding your breath now...

I am curious as to why most of the Glocks, and some others, keep the co-witness sights.  The only reason I've been able to come up with is if they plan to replace the dot sight with a filler block and go back to iron sights.  If there is another reason I'd like to hear it as you don't need the iron sights if you are planning on becoming very proficient with the dot sight ???

6 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I am curious as to why most of the Glocks, and some others, keep the co-witness sights.  The only reason I've been able to come up with is if they plan to replace the dot sight with a filler block and go back to iron sights.  If there is another reason I'd like to hear it as you don't need the iron sights if you are planning on becoming very proficient with the dot sight ???

that reason makes no sense, if the irons were for when the dot is removed they wouldn't want them to be co-witness.   seems like most people think of them as a back up in case of red dot failure or a dot that is turned off.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Just seems strange as Open guns have been used for many years without backup sights  ???

And I've seen Open shooters have to point shoot entire stages when their dot/battery died on the first shot of a stage...

I've shot a CO Glock set up the same as the OPs with the RMR and suppressor sights.  The suppressor sights don't get in the way or are distracting at all while using the dot.  So there's really no downside.  They're relatively cheap and the dovetail's already there so easy to install.  Not as easy to add iron sights on most Open guns.  Also slide mounted optics are newer and maybe not as reliable as optics on Open guns. 

Also the OP never said he's using this gun for competition.  He might be using it as a carry or nightstand gun.

Just saying there's some reasons why one might add the suppressor sights.  Of course not saying they're absolutely necessary for CO.

This gun may see a match or two here or there just for the purpose of running the gun but the primary purpose of this gun is carry and or a night stand gun. Iron sights make perfect sense to me. Electronics can and will fail. 

1 hour ago, frankge said:

are the slide cuts legal in CO?

The serrations are legal, the top window cut is not. I plan to have my 34 done up similar for the purpose of shooting the games. It will be legal. 

I was wrong...

21.2b Milling of slide — only as required to insert optical sights 

A slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing optical sights or cocking serrations.  Textured finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling on the slide to provide texture is also allowed. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 0:05 AM, Steve RA said:

Just seems strange as Open guns have been used for many years without backup sights  ???

Open guns with FRAME MOUNTED OPTICS, so they don't have to worry about the possibility of the slide reciprocation damaging the dot, which has happened to me numerous times. (Also, side not, Ive had and seen an open gun dot go down, and be F&%$ked on that stage because there's no BUIS for an open gun.) When your going through a stage, (or God forbid you're in a gun fight) and one minute you have a dot, the next minute you don't, your glad you have irons as backup so you can finish, or live. Also, if you have a light on your pistol and the light washes out the dot, you've got those irons there to save your ass so you can effectively aim.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:44 PM, hlpressley said:

Just received my G17 slide back from the folks at DP Custom Works LLC.  I wanted to have my slide milled to accept a Trijicon RMR, tall sights to help with co-witness, and front and top serrations to aide in racking the slide for unloaded starts.  To my surprise when I reached out to them to inquire about the services and to ask a few questions not only did I get a quick, professional, and thorough response, it was from Doug himself, the owner of the company!  The entire transaction was handled quickly, professionally and the end result is second to none!  The overall fit, finish, and look is great!  He even handled the Cerakote for me through a partner company also in North Carolina, Weapon Works LLC.  I am not easily impressed, but I am extremely impressed with how this entire transaction was handled.  Modern services provided the old fashioned way!  My G34 slide is on it's way to him tomorrow!  

http://www.dpcustomworksllc.com/

3FB32A78-9044-4052-BB9E-6345CEE0EDCF.jpg

19058420-584D-411B-A78B-42D561192898.jpg

6A2E3214-FFCA-4A9D-8274-B5F56C0CA12F.jpg

Like the slide work. What color is that?

• 2 weeks later...

Co witnessing the sights can help find the dot also.  I think that would only really be a problem for people that are new to shooting with a dot and haven't developed the muscle memory to find it every time.  Your natural instinct when shooting is to look for that front sight and having it there can really help finding the dot when you don't index the pistol correctly.  

• 1 month later...