Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 9mm minor powder? Why?

Bullets

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 9mm minor powder? Why?  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious what a majority of the people would use if cost was no issue and why? I know many of you shoot open as well. I'm asking for just your best all around 9mm minor powder if you had to pick one for everything.

Then I would just buy 124gr PMC ammo or Amercian eagle.

I don't want to reload if I can afford factory ammo no problem.

However, I am currently using Prima V. I would still use it even if I get rich.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

I chose 'other', otherwise known as Prima V.  Performance wise Prima V and N320 are very comparable.  However Prima V meters much better for me, hence my vote.  The fact that it is a tad bit cheaper is just icing on the top.

Easy. True Blue. Not only can I use this powder for 9mm minor with my favorite 124 gr. bullet, the Nosler JHP, I can use this powder to load most all of my handgun cartridges. That being said, I just bought some Prima V.

7 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

Then I would just buy 124gr PMC ammo or Amercian eagle.

I don't want to reload if I can afford factory ammo no problem.

However, I am currently using Prima V. I would still use it even if I get rich.

+1 to Nobel Sport Prima V.

However if I were rich, I'd rather have a 1050/Mark7/MBF combination to load my own ammo for me, and a D class USPSA peasant to keep it stocked.

I have never found a factory ammo that shoots half as well as hand loads, and I like controlling what goes into things.

WSF,

1. It is extremely versatile,
  2. It makes PF for IDPA/USPSA Minor with near minimum loads in everything from 115 gr to 147gr,
  3. It makes PF with loads at the bottom end of the pressure range, thus less wear and tear on the handgun, less muzzle blast, less perceived recoil,
  4. It meters extremely accurately,
  5. It burns clean,
  6. It is relatively cheap,
  7. Loads are modest volume wise,
  8. It is readily available,
  9. It has a more user friendly pressure curve, (not as snappy) as Tight Group and many other faster burning pistol powders.

11 hours ago, mjmagee67 said:

N320

I hate cleaning guns!!!

I've shot 2# of n320. While it wasnt as dirty as TG, it didn't seem like it was "clean" either. 

My load data 

3.1 N320

Xtreme 147

OAL 1.135"

Differnt primers

Different guns.  

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, jbmac said:

WSF,

1. It is extremely versatile,
  2. It makes PF for IDPA/USPSA Minor with near minimum loads in everything from 115 gr to 147gr,
  3. It makes PF with loads at the bottom end of the pressure range, thus less wear and tear on the handgun, less muzzle blast, less perceived recoil,
  4. It meters extremely accurately,
  5. It burns clean,
  6. It is relatively cheap,
  7. Loads are modest volume wise,
  8. It is readily available,
  9. It has a more user friendly pressure curve, (not as snappy) as Tight Group and many other faster burning pistol powders.

Help me out here.  Per Hodgdon's website, both are jacketed .355" 147 gr HP (different bullet manufacturers) out of the same test gun

WSF - 147 gr HP traveling 900 fps = 30,100 PSI OAL is 1.169"

Titegroup -  147 gr HP traveling 929 fps = 27,500 psi OAL is 1.100"

Wouldn't the lower pressure equal less snappy recoil? 

I don't know if the pressure plays out the same for all bullets and calibers but for a 147 gr bullet it looks like TG would be/feel less snappy?

I use VV n320 exclusively in my 9mm and 40cal loads.  Sure the price per lb of powder is higher, but when less than a penny per round...it's worth it in my opinion.

Softer recoil, less flash and meters extremely well are my main reasons for using it.