Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 40 major powder? Why?

Bullets

If money is no issue, what is your favorite 40 major powder? Why?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. If money is no issue, what is your favorite 40 major powder? Why?

• Wsf
    • Wst
    • W231 / hp38
    • Titegroup
    • 700x
    • Clays
    • N320
    • Be86
    • Power pistol
    • Cfe pistol
    • E3
    • Other

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Price difference for most of the popular powders isn't that great, so I don't think cost is a factor for most people.

Well some of the powder get pretty expensive like the vv powders. They are double the price of powders like titegroup. I know a few people that don't shoot vv powder because of cost. I know people that use titegroup because of how cheap it is.

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

Well some of the powder get pretty expensive like the vv powders. They are double the price of powders like titegroup. I know a few people that don't shoot vv powder because of cost. I know people that use titegroup because of how cheap it is.

But if you do the math and buy in bulk, Twice as expensive means 3 cents a round instead of 1.5.

If you like a particular powder, use it. It's the cheapest piece of the puzzle. :)

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

But if you do the math and buy in bulk, Twice as expensive means 3 cents a round instead of 1.5.

If you like a particular powder, use it. It's the cheapest piece of the puzzle. :)

Sarge is right.  Per round, the cost of powder is pretty minuscule.  Except it's more like 0.3 cents vs 0.15 cents.  That's how little the powder cost comes down to.

36 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Sarge is right.  Per round, the cost of powder is pretty minuscule.  Except it's more like 0.3 cents vs 0.15 cents.  That's how little the powder cost comes down to.

Yeah. If you want to save real money bullets are where it's at.

16 minutes ago, 57K said:

OTHER: Still no love for Ramshot!

True Blue because it is the most accurate powder I've ever used. JHPs or SWCs.

Ramshot rocks!  I use titegroup for 40 because it was what the previous owner of my first 40 2011 was using.

I use true blue for XTP bullets in 45, and ramshot silhouette in 9mm minor with 115's. I've also used true blue for 9mm minor, both are very accurate imho.

vv320 for 45.  cost does not factor into these decisions for me at all.

I've found accurate major loads with Titegroup, WST, and N320.  My most accurate major load uses Titegroup - but WST and N320 shoot softer.  Since price isn't a factor and WST meters a little better - WST! 

Other - Nobel Sport Prima SV

Why?

(1) - Cheap

(2) - Not Temperature Sensitive

(3) - Fairly soft felt recoil

(4) - Meters well

(5) - Great Accuracy

Edited by CHA-LEE

I've just now gotten into reloading. I have a jug of CFE, 1.) I was stealing my buddy's load data, and 2.) according to him it was almost always available locally during the scarce times.

But N320 is definitely on my list since I keep seeing jugs of it at the gun store!

I've used Win Autocomp, because I bought some during the shortage. I didn't do anything with a Chrono but using 5.7 grains and 180 grain RMR plated bullets got me pretty good accuracy. Recoil wasn't bad and it's cleaner than Winchester factory ammo. That was out of a Para Pro Custom 16.40. I'll be going to coated bullets and Prima SV next. I wouldn't hesitate to use Autocomp though. Also tested it for 9mm and found a load more accurate than HP38. In fact it was more accurate in both calibers than HP38, but only at one specific weight. 

WST strictly based on accuracy.  Its the most accurate powder in both 9mm and .40 in every single one of my pistols.  (Others I've tried: N320, Solo1000, titegroup, e3, clays, Prima V.)

Edited by al503

This post peaked my interests and made me do some research on N320, I haven't seen it on a shelf at any of my local gun/sporting good stores. Where is a good place to buy it?

I found it at Midway, but with shipping and haz-mat fees it would cost me over $200.00 for 4 lbs.?

3 hours ago, IATURNKEY said:

This post peaked my interests and made me do some research on N320, I haven't seen it on a shelf at any of my local gun/sporting good stores. Where is a good place to buy it?

I found it at Midway, but with shipping and haz-mat fees it would cost me over $200.00 for 4 lbs.?

I bought N320 from Powder Valley when they had a no-HAZMAT sale a week ago :)

See if any of your local places will order it for you the next time they order powder. I'm a bit lucky that there is a local store that basically lets us put in requests along with his stock order and when he gets to 48 lbs he orders it all. Usually doesn't take more than 3-4 weeks. It's great for him because he knows it's sold. 

Cost is one of the least important factor when it comes to powder. The difference per round from the most expensive to the least expensive is less than $0.01 so it's not really a factor, I use the powder that performs the best.