Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Carry Optics Mount Choices

frankge

Tired of my old eye not seeing my sights so am going to enter into "poor mans open". Interested in feedback in the three mounting options for a Burris FastFire III on a G17;

1. Milled slide

2. Drilled and tapped screw mount on slide

3. Rear sight mounting plate.

I get the obvious differences and have test fired 1 & 3 but wanted to hear from the guys/gals that have been shooting it...

Thanks

If you've already fired 1 and 3, you know the two best choices.  Option 2 is a "worst of both worlds" - permanently modified slide, without any of the benefits of milling.

If you've got the cash, definitely do option 1. If you think you might want to switch back and forth, go option 3 and buy a high quality Glock sight pusher and digital micrometer so you can do it yourself whenever you want in 5 minutes.

6 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

If you mill the slide for a ff3 are you stuck with only that optic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or optics that have the FFIII mount pattern, such as the Vortex Venom, Viper, or Razor. 

I decided to go with milling as the other options seem a bit ghetto fabulous. Sent it to primary machine who are a BE vendor for a 10% discount. Milling, single slide cerakote, shipping and insurance both ways came out to $157.00. I'll post back with the results. I love my Brazos Ltd gun and considered open but that's almost 6k to get into. I'm sold on Brazos reliability and wouldn't get less.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 4:39 AM, frankge said:

I decided to go with milling as the other options seem a bit ghetto fabulous. Sent it to primary machine who are a BE vendor for a 10% discount. Milling, single slide cerakote, shipping and insurance both ways came out to $157.00. I'll post back with the results. I love my Brazos Ltd gun and considered open but that's almost 6k to get into. I'm sold on Brazos reliability and wouldn't get less.

Looking forward to hearing about your slide when it comes back.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, OPENB said:

Or optics that have the FFIII mount pattern, such as the Vortex Venom, Viper, or Razor. 

No, this isn't exactly correct.  The hole patterns match on these, including both Leupold DeltaPoints, but the exact footprint of all these are different.  If you mill your slide, you are marrying an optic.  For this reason, I would only mill a slide for a high-end optic.  I like the Viper and Venom, but I'm not sure I'd mill a slide for one of those, and especially not for a FF3.  Just my opinion, though.