Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Body die/Neck or Collet die vs SB FL sizing die for AR

ffgats

Just curious about this combo ( Body Die and Neck or Collet Neck Die) on resizing brass ( 223). Better and precise than a SB Full Lenght Sixing Die? Lube still needed for the Body Die?, its for my AR.

Redding and Forster has all the 3 dies, which brand is more easy to use and better results. thanks

Edited by ffgats

you might get better response in reloading section.

i use FL and always lube rifle cases.

when i shot precision rifle, (.308)  i used bushing dies, arbor press....... to get appropriate neck tension  but this was on a sub .25 moa rifle.  i was   a neck turn away the bench rest rabbit hole.  @.25 and/or less moa neck tension makes a difference.   along with fancy brass, pills, $$$ barrel, arbor press, wilson dies........

if i can get  1 moa or less,  from slow fire prone or bench position with AR i'm happy. this is with a white oak  1in 7 barrel,  77 gr pills,  and this is with FL dies  ....  thing is its not often that level of accuracy is necessary. 

chances are for 98% of all AR shooters  the standard full length die  set up appropriately will be sufficient

ashamed to admit,but  I managed to stuck case on my Dillon sizing die, followed the instructions on how get out the case, unfortunately to no avail. since I might need a new sizing die, was thinking of the combo above, to be honest was haapy with the Dillon sizing die. but sometimes its nice to know  to have other options.

The Dillon FL are good dies. Just have to use lots of lube when doing the entire case at once. I recommend a lanolin based lube like Dillon, and lots of it!

Eta; send the stuck case to Dillon, they will get it out

Edited by RiggerJJ

was thinking of sending it to Dillon, but I manged to unintentionally disassembbled the decaping pin which according to Dillon will just damege the die itself. made a mistake, I unthreaded the decapping assembly all the way up, but the other half of the pin is still left inside the die body and brass. stupid me, read the instructions after I screwed up, it should be the other way, lol. happened to me 3 yrs ago, and was successful in getting off the case, this old brain doesn't keep accurate info anymore, lol

• 4 weeks later...

There is no reason to get a SB die unless you have an undersized body portion of the chamber.   Some company standard dies are smaller than other company's SB dies.  A bushing FL die will not size as far down on the case neck as a standard FL die will.