Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Pulled Over in Texas

Flatland Shooter

Yup, I'm having a pretty good week.

Got pulled over for speeding this afternoon by a local county constable,  Guilty as sin.  And I received a warning ticket.  That alone could warrant a "what I like" thread, but that was just the start of it.

Rolled down my window and presented both my drivers license and, as required by law, my license to carry.

Officer - "Are you carrying now?"

Me - "Yes sir, right front pocket"

Officer - "OK, leave it right there."

He goes back to his Tahoe and runs my info.  Comes back to my window and advises me he was giving me a warning ticket.  (This was the first time I've pulled over in over 17 years.  I didn't know they still gave out warning tickets.)

Me - "Thank you sir.  I really appreciate it."

Officer - "Thank you for carrying.  I wish more people would do it."

That will stick with me for quite a while.

Dang, I love living in Texas.

warnings vs tickets depends a lot on how the cops day has been, and your attitude towards them when they walk up to your car. ive had em go both ways, and a warning or a few words beats the ticket every time. of course, sometimes you just know the second they walk up, he's gonna stick it to ya..............

The warning ticket was good news but the main purpose of starting this thread is that the LEO was so cool about concealed carry.

If you listen to MSM (main stream media), law enforcement does not like concealed carry.  

But then, MSM wouldn't be lying about that too, would they?

Myself and other immediate LEO coworkers applaud responsible concealed carriers and encourage it regularly as we spend the majority of our time responding to calls for violence. We rarely are there as it occurs unless it is directed towards us. You have to have the ability to protect yourself. Glad you had a positive experience as most of what we hear is the opposite. Thank you for sharing the story!

I don't ever get pulled over but my 1911 got my out of a ticket one time. I was speeding probably 10-15 over and got pulled over.

Rolled all windows down and handed my DL and my CHL officer wanted to know if I was carrying. I informed him yes and he asked what I was carrying. I informed him I was carrying a Springfield compact 1911.

He was a real old trooper and lit up about the 1911. He went on about a damn fine platform and gave me a warning haha.

Living in Texas I don't usually ever have a problem carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, lefty o said:

warnings vs tickets depends a lot on how the cops day has been, and your attitude towards them when they walk up to your car. ive had em go both ways, and a warning or a few words beats the ticket every time. of course, sometimes you just know the second they walk up, he's gonna stick it to ya..............

If they have been trained properly, this simply isn't true.  The decision is supposed to have been made, prior to the contact, based on the severity of the violation.  

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

If they have been trained properly, this simply isn't true.  The decision is supposed to have been made, prior to the contact, based on the severity of the violation.  

I was doing 15 over the limit and passed a state trooper on my way to a match. That is wreckless op here and I could potentially lose my CDL. He did a TV VERSION U TURN on a two lane road and ran me down. I have retired military plates on my truck. He walks up to my truck and says ,"license, registration please". He went back to his car and ran my info I guess. When he came back to me he handed everything back to me and told me to slow down and thanked me for my service.

He had me dead to rights but chose not to issue me a ticket.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

then probably 90% of the cops in this country havent been well trained.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I was doing 15 over the limit and passed a state trooper on my way to a match. That is wreckless op here and I could potentially lose my CDL. He did a TV VERSION U TURN on a two lane road and ran me down. I have retired military plates on my truck. He walks up to my truck and says ,"license, registration please". He went back to his car and ran my info I guess. When he came back to me he handed everything back to me and told me to slow down and thanked me for my service.

yeah I'm all for that kind of contacts.  I should add that it's acceptable for cops to change their mind from a ticket to a warning based on good behavior from the driver/occupants.  It's not OK, to change your mind from a warning to a ticket just because the driver/occupants act like an douche.  Obviously it happens, but it really shouldn't.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Being a vet had to of saved you from a citation, Kevin. Ohio state troopers are not known for warnings. Well, not in my case anyhow :angry:

Had a cop pull me over in a construction zone at 6 AM on the way to a USPSA match last year . It was near the WI/IL boarder (Heading into Wisconsin). Cop asked where I was headed. Told him it was a USPSA match at XYZ club. He said he was upset because he got called into work and was actually planning on attending the same match.

We got to chatting and he asking about what division I shoot. Conversation ended with me popping the trunk so he could check out my open gun. He handled everything and put it all back and I was on my way. Still cant believe that happen. And in IL no less.

I got stopped one night late after cleaning up from a match - only going about 30mph over the limit - and we got into a talk and when he asked "9mm or .45" I knew I had him.  After a little discussion he said he got off in 15 minutes and didn't have time to write a ticket.  Nice Texas Highway Patrolman.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I doubt that....how could you have possibly been stopped that many times:D

in my younger days of long hair, loud fast cars and driving agressively all the time, it was a slow week if i didnt get stopped at least once. in my driving carreer, ive gotten 1 ticket for going thru a do not enter sign, and 1 speeding ticket (90+ in a 55, wasnt getting out of it LOL ), and a few fixit tickets. been stopped at least 100 times, in half a dozen states, and will definately state being respectful and courteous to the police has saved me a ton of money.

10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

yeah I'm all for that kind of contacts.  I should add that it's acceptable for cops to change their mind from a ticket to a warning based on good behavior from the driver/occupants.  It's not OK, to change your mind from a warning to a ticket just because the driver/occupants act like an douche.  Obviously it happens, but it really shouldn't.

I find that being stopped on the shoulder before the  officer has a chance to get his lights on, or his cruiser out of first gear, tends to help too.  I don't know if it's evidence that I'm clearly alert enough to not only notice the officer, but to notice the reverse lights flashing/wheels turning, i.e. I may be speeding but at least I'm paying attention, or if it's that I assume full responsibility for my actions, but I'm glad nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, Nik Habicht said:

I find that being stopped on the shoulder before the  officer has a chance to get his lights on, or his cruiser out of first gear, tends to help too.  I don't know if it's evidence that I'm clearly alert enough to not only notice the officer, but to notice the reverse lights flashing/wheels turning, i.e. I may be speeding but at least I'm paying attention, or if it's that I assume full responsibility for my actions, but I'm glad nonetheless.

That always helps too....

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, toothandnail said:

My experience in TX was the exact opposite.

Might also depend who and where you're pulled over.  Around 2005, I got a ticket in Itasca, TX along I-35 heading toward DFW.  If you've got a minute, google their jurisdictional boundaries...it's a small town off the highway, but they claim two roads going out to I-35 and the section of I-35 between two overpasses (IIRC).  I'm betting tickets are a substantial portion of their revenue.

1 hour ago, mpolans said:

Might also depend who and where you're pulled over.  Around 2005, I got a ticket in Itasca, TX along I-35 heading toward DFW.  If you've got a minute, google their jurisdictional boundaries...it's a small town off the highway, but they claim two roads going out to I-35 and the section of I-35 between two overpasses (IIRC).  I'm betting tickets are a substantial portion of their revenue.

Exactly that,

he ESTIMATED my speed, 

parked about 50' past where the speed limit changed

he knew we were in the area shooting a 3 gun match

when I asked if he could help me out a bit on the ticket, his reply - "Just be glad I didn't give you more than 1 ticket"

He was an all around prick the whole time. Probably the worst LEO interaction I ever had.

Been stopped twice since I got my concealed carry permit several years ago.

First time I'd gotten sleepy and my wife was driving.   She has a heavy foot, I get on to her regularly, but she doesn't seem to get tickets.  The WV State Trooper pulled us over (wife was all shook up, as usual).  When he walked up to the car I told him I was carrying.  He asked where it was and I told him and he told me to just leave it there.  He told us he'd pulled us over because she was driving a little fast and weaving a little bit.   He took my wife's license, the car's registration and insurance card back to his car.  He came back in a few minutes, handed everything back to her and told us to be careful.  We changed places and I drove the rest of the way home.

The second time was here in VA.  I was on my way to work but not carrying because you can't carry where I worked (and they can search your vehicle whenever they want to because you're parked on company property.)  I didn't stop right in the road as it was rush hour traffic.  I waved my arm out the window and pointed over to the right to let him know I'd seen him and drove a couple blocks to a parking lot and pulled in.  He walked up and told me he'd pulled me over for driving past a stopped school bus on the other side of what I thought was a divided highway.  Here in VA it's not a divided highway unless it's grass and trees or a jersey wall between the lanes, as I found out later.  I asked to get out of the Jeep because there's just no way I can get to my wallet in that cramped ass little vehicle.  I didn't tell him I was carrying because I wasn't.  He took my driver's license, insurance card and registration back to his car.  Another county police car pulled in behind him and that cop got out.  Well, that cop went ape shit.  I couldn't understand every word he said but he was upset that I had not informed the first police officer that I was carrying.  He and the first guy were arguing and finally the first guy said something that got the second guy to back up and start pacing back and forth between their cars.  The first officer came back to me, handed me back my stuff and wrote me a ticket for passing the stopped school bus.  All I had to do to get that dropped was take the driver's class for $50 (kind of a racket here in VA as the class was pretty much a joke when the guy spends almost as much time out smoking as talking/teaching and then stands there spends the teaching time stories about his career as a police officer and then tells you the answers when you take the tests.)  The first officer never mentioned the concealed carry permit or asked why I didn't inform him I was carrying (I was waiting, but since he didn't ask, I didn't tell him the 1911 was at home).

Got stopped in a small town in WV many years ago and got a speeding ticket for 28 mph in a 25 mph zone.  Yup.  Three miles over the speed limit.

Had another small town WV cop pull me over, tell me my inspection sticker "looked funny" and then threaten to draw on me because I got to close to him when he made me get out of the car to look at my inspection sticker from the front/outside the car.  I saw that USMC tie tack on his uniform tie and I figured the crazy bastard was itching for an excuse to shoot somebody.  I'm standing on the side of the road with both hands up in the air and him with his gun unstrapped and his hand on the grip and about halfway out of the holster and I'm backing up to put distance between us after he asked me to do what I was doing.  That was the scariest traffic stop (from the wrong end) I've ever had.

Good and bad, every job, just people, not all of them suited for the job they do.

54 minutes ago, jcameron996 said:

He knew you were out of state and weren't going to take it to court. It would have been interesting to watch him testify to "estimating" your speed.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly he asked if we were shooting the match as one of the first things he said.

Went downhill from there.