Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight for Production 40 S&W?

Religious Shooter

I tried 155, 165, 175, 180 and 200 Loaded to 1.126" OAL in my CZ TS with a 13lb spring.  200s felt sluggish, 155s were not as accurate as I liked.  the 175s were accurate, but the SWC shape gave occasional feeding problems.  I mostly shoot 180s for the softer recoil feel, but now prefer the quicker snap of the 165s.  I feel like the gun cycles faster and I'm back on target faster.  I use Alliant e3 powder for 40sw. 

I tried lighter weights (140,166,165gr.) and ended up going back to a 180gr. BBI Bullet, 3.2gr. Tight Group 1.135 with a PF of 136. This load has worked well out of my Glock 35 running a 13 lb recoil spring. 

However, I am currently working on a 200gr. load that I ran into while trying to use up some old Win 231 powder and a box of 200gr. bullets that I had. The accuracy was great and recoil was very light. I started out with 3.2gr. of 231 and achieved the same fps of my 180 load, but that gave me a PF of 150. 

I tried 180 165 155 lead and coated bullets

currently use S&S coated 165gr no grease groove bullets

180 made the gun feel sluggisg

155 was too snappy

165 is the sweet spot for me 

quick to get back on target from double taps

I've been loading 140 grain Ibejiheads over 4.1 grains of WST at a 1.18 OAL out of a CK Arms Thunder Limited and at 1.14 OAL out of our Glock 35 with 17lb stock spring.  No cycling problems, ran 100%

I shot my regular 9mm light load from a Glock 34 (147 grain 9mm with 3.2 grains of Titegroup) side by side with the 140 grain 40 cal and the 140 grain 40 cal was much softer shooting. Was also very, very accurate.  Loved it so much I ordered 3,200 rounds that afternoon.  I have to thank Hunter1998 for the recommendation to use 140 grain, it's an awesome minor load, planning to use it for 3 gun and steel challenge.

I am a cheap ass so I like using Bear Creek 155g SWC with either 4.0g of Tg or 4.1g of CSB-1. I find them to run smoothly in my Franken Tanfoglio gun and the PF is in the high 130's, low 140's. I haven't had the time to test for groups at distance yet.

I have recently been trying out a Bayou 140gr loaded to 1.16 w/ 4gr bullseye. These are 4.01 diameter; loading them any longer bites into the rifling on my 5" M&P. (but this length is just fine). Using an 11lb recoil spring ... it is a fun load to shoot. Makes just under 130pf ... no problem w/ setback; plate racks; texas stars or poppers so far.

Have also been trying out (in an attempt to find which one I like better) a 165 Blue Bullet (actually weigh in at 167gr) loaded to 1.17 w/ 3.3gr bullseye (.400 diameter). I like the narrower tip on these and the sharp edge on the shoulder (target looks like it was shot with a wadcutter ... nice clean round hole). Works well also with the 11lb recoil spring.