Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressure signs ?

3djedi

Since I'm new to open and not sure what's ok with 9mm major I thought I would ask if these primers look ok. I see cratering but is some of that ok in 9mm major loads? I think I will be using 6.4 to 6.5g of CFE for my load......

7bf6518c9c35fc671ab75727e5e7bab2.jpg

532eac8c76d0f73644bc1ac0fc7674cc.jpg

0958dff025e5bb0c202a54a59af0a8f1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I ran 200 rounds through it today and it ran perfect. Shows just a little bit of cratering.

Is that anything to worry about? I have tons of S&B primers and really want to use them.

Thanks!

They look OK, edges of primers are still rounded.  Possible the firing pin hole could be a little large allowing that to happen.

Ok thanks!

CFE Pistol is probably also not a great choice but I have around 16lbs sitting here I'd like to use up.

Ok. That's why I ask. See the primers that have a kind of 'nipple' on them? That's bad. That can cause primer material to get shaved off in the firing pin hole and if you're really unlucky it can cause light strikes. 

Ive seen it happen to sb primers with a friend of mine who loads a reasonably fast powder in his open gun too (wsf). 

I would suggest if you want to keep using that load consider switching to fed srp or win srp or cci spp. 

You don't want the primer flowing back into the firing pin hole like that. It's not present on all your cases but it is on some of them. 

Ok. That's why I ask. See the primers that have a kind of 'nipple' on them? That's bad. That can cause primer material to get shaved off in the firing pin hole and if you're really unlucky it can cause light strikes. 

Ive seen it happen to sb primers with a friend of mine who loads a reasonably fast powder in his open gun too (wsf). 

I would suggest if you want to keep using that load consider switching to fed srp or win srp or cci spp. 

You don't want the primer flowing back into the firing pin hole like that. It's not present on all your cases but it is on some of them. 

So, worst case is probably light strikes then?

Honestly, I'd rather switch powders than primers. I have a 1050 autodrive that is very sensitive to primers.

Is HS6 a better powder?

Ok, if you want to keep using the sb primers I would suggest a slower burning powder (lower pressure for the same velocity). I think hs6 is slower than cfe (someone here will no doubt confirm/deny). 

You our don't want any primer shavings in the gun if you can avoid it. 

3n38 is an option. Costs more but the powder cost is still probably the cheapest part of the round. 

AA#7 is another popular slower powder. 

Edited by BeerBaron

Ok, if you want to keep using the sb primers I would suggest a slower burning powder (lower pressure for the same velocity). I think hs6 is slower than cfe (someone here will no doubt confirm/deny). 

You our don't want any primer shavings in the gun if you can avoid it. 

3n38 is an option. Costs more but the powder cost is still probably the cheapest part of the round. 

AA#7 is another popular slower powder. 

Ok thanks.

From the burn chart I saw hs-6 is listed right next to autocomp with hs-6 being the faster. Didn't list CFE Pistol but I hear it's about the same as AC.

AA#7 is slower than 3n38. 3n38 is really pricey though.

I thought I heard Silhouette is a good one but I don't see it on the burn chart.......

3n38 is pricey but it's a great powder. 

I mean you wouldn't put cheap gas in a Ferrari. Open guns are the Supercars of the gun sports. It's worth giving them the good fuel. :) 

3n38 is very clean to shoot, very consistent to measure/drop, very consistent velocity, great amount of gas and it smells good too. :)

1 hour ago, 3djedi said:

Ok thanks.

From the burn chart I saw hs-6 is listed right next to autocomp with hs-6 being the faster. Didn't list CFE Pistol but I hear it's about the same as AC.

AA#7 is slower than 3n38. 3n38 is really pricey though.

I thought I heard Silhouette is a good one but I don't see it on the burn chart.......

Silhouette might be listed as WAP (Winchester Action Pistol) if you're looking at an old burn rate chart.

check out a new chart here: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf   Silhouette is right after CFE-Pistol.

Silhouette might be listed as WAP (Winchester Action Pistol) if you're looking at an old burn rate chart.

check out a new chart here: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf   Silhouette is right after CFE-Pistol.

Thanks!

I went to the local store and found some AA#7. Bought a little to try. We'll see how it goes. :)

40 minutes ago, superdude said:

That list does not have HS6 in the proper spot... I find that especially odd as its from IMR (owned by Hodgdon). If you look at Hodgdon load data, HS6 is considerably slower, by about a grain on average.

8 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

That list does not have HS6 in the proper spot... I find that especially odd as its from IMR (owned by Hodgdon). If you look at Hodgdon load data, HS6 is considerably slower, by about a grain on average.

You can't judge speed by how much is used.  Formulas differ, and that can significantly affect a powder's density, charge weight required and burn rate.  Weight gives you a rough estimate of how much gas a powder produces, but even that can vary a bit.

Also, no two burn rate charts list the powders in the same ranking.  Some charts rank powders in very different ranks than Hodgdon's chart. 

45 minutes ago, superdude said:

You can't judge speed by how much is used.  Formulas differ, and that can significantly affect a powder's density, charge weight required and burn rate.  Weight gives you a rough estimate of how much gas a powder produces, but even that can vary a bit.

Also, no two burn rate charts list the powders in the same ranking.  Some charts rank powders in very different ranks than Hodgdon's chart. 

OK, I've misunderstood things then I suppose. So the quantity of powder required to push a bullet to a certain velocity is unrelated to it's burn rate?

Edited by js1130146

16 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

OK, I've misunderstood things then I suppose. So the quantity of powder required to push a bullet to a certain velocity is unrelated to it's burn rate?

There is a 'rule of thumb' that slower powders usually require more weight than fast powders for the same velocity.  But there are many exceptions to this, and if you look at powders that are a similar burn rate, the rule of thumb gets tossed in the trash pretty quickly.

If you look at different burn rate charts you'll see rankings all over the place, with rankings of some powders completely reversed when comparing different charts. Burn rate charts are 'general' guides, and they don't agree when comparing powders from different manufacturers, so we can't take them too literally. 

9 hours ago, superdude said:

There is a 'rule of thumb' that slower powders usually require more weight than fast powders for the same velocity.  But there are many exceptions to this, and if you look at powders that are a similar burn rate, the rule of thumb gets tossed in the trash pretty quickly.

If you look at different burn rate charts you'll see rankings all over the place, with rankings of some powders completely reversed when comparing different charts. Burn rate charts are 'general' guides, and they don't agree when comparing powders from different manufacturers, so we can't take them too literally. 

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I need to educate myself a little more thoroughly on this topic. Do you know if any good resources available for more reading about burn rate and things of that nature?

Edited by js1130146