Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressure signs ?

3djedi

Does the primer cup hardness usually correlate with showing pressure signs? I've always understood cci,Winchester,federal as hardest to softest. But in load testing cci flatten before Winchester for me.

4 hours ago, js1130146 said:

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I need to educate myself a little more thoroughly on this topic. Do you know if any good resources available for more reading about burn rate and things of that nature?

Check the "gunpowder" sections of your loading manuals.

Search for and compare burn rate charts.

4 hours ago, Garmil said:

Does the primer cup hardness usually correlate with showing pressure signs? I've always understood cci,Winchester,federal as hardest to softest. But in load testing cci flatten before Winchester for me.

I've found it to vary depending on powder, cartridge (caliber). It can be hard to predict.

One example with one powder and one bullet is shown here: http://38super.net/Pages/Primers.html

A longer than stock firing pin in a 1911/2011 can help with that cratering. Did for me.

The CK comes with an extended firing pin. Problem is you can't load very long in the gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 27/02/2017 at 5:07 PM, Trent1k1 said:

I like CCI SPP.  Don't have any problems with those and i run MG 115 JPHs, over 7.5 grains of CFE Pistol.

Good luck!

Hi I am planning to load 124 gn plated with CFE. Can you share more info with CFE powder? I load CFE with 45 ACP and 9mm before. Both have unburn powder. Does it happen with 38sc?