Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 Max: First day at the range.

taco101

My wife has been enjoying single stack quite a bit.  Her 9mm needed a stablemate.  So, after a delayed NICS background check.... Yay....I picked up our new Sig 1911 Max Michel in .40.  Fit and finish is quite good.  Trigger is....heavy.  Probably 7 or 8 lbs,  and a bit creepy.  Brazos pro parts on the way.  The gun fit my wifes holster fine, mine needed a touch of heat gun...now it fits fine.  The front sight is beautifully narrow and bright.  Took some 170pf rounds to the range today.  I am impressed by the way it shoots.  Considerably softer than a G-35 with the same loads.  It is oversprung.  So I ordered a couple of recoil springs to try.  WIth 180gr coated bullets it is quite accurate.  My Wilson .45 mags work fine but need a longer base pad.  Dawsons ordered.  Overall it is a nice gun and my wife is thrilled....which makes me thrilled!  She called dibs at the next match!

Hello: The trigger parts are top shelf stuff. They are EGW parts. Try a 14lb ISMI recoil spring and a 17lb ISMI mainspring for major loads. For minor use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring and the same 17lb mainspring. Blade Tech make a holster that fits it perfectly. I may look for one in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

I have 2, 40 & 45. Great guns for the money. I've done a little trigger work by polishing and bending the leaf spring to reduce the pull to about 3lbs. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just  purchased a 45 Max, had it shipped straight to gunsmith, he removed series 80 parts and performed some trigger work. Trigger breaks clean at 3lbs and gun shoots great. Ran about 500 rounds through it so far with no issues  and pistol shoots very good. Fit and finish is very good.

Edited by Hunter1998
Correction

Swapped in a 17lb hammer spring, 13 lb recoil spring, took out the series 80's parts, polished the trigger bow, disco, and trigger channel.  Pinned the grip safety.  Nice 3 Lb break.  Now I have a spare Brazos trigger kit.  The stock parts worked great with a little love.  

Edited by taco101

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked a Max up in 45 last week. I too felt the trigger was a bit creepy and heavy, compared to my Series 70 Springfield and RIA. I bought both of those guns used though -- should I wait until I have 1000 or so rounds on the Max before doing anything with the trigger? I ran 300 through it on Sat.

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2017 at 7:25 PM, taco101 said:

My wife has been enjoying single stack quite a bit.  Her 9mm needed a stablemate.  So, after a delayed NICS background check.... Yay....I picked up our new Sig 1911 Max Michel in .40.  Fit and finish is quite good.  Trigger is....heavy.  Probably 7 or 8 lbs,  and a bit creepy.  Brazos pro parts on the way.  The gun fit my wifes holster fine, mine needed a touch of heat gun...now it fits fine.  The front sight is beautifully narrow and bright.  Took some 170pf rounds to the range today.  I am impressed by the way it shoots.  Considerably softer than a G-35 with the same loads.  It is oversprung.  So I ordered a couple of recoil springs to try.  WIth 180gr coated bullets it is quite accurate.  My Wilson .45 mags work fine but need a longer base pad.  Dawsons ordered.  Overall it is a nice gun and my wife is thrilled....which makes me thrilled!  She called dibs at the next match!

Hello, you said .45 wilson combat mag works on your max 1911 .40?

I use to run the .45 mags but ran into an issue where the mags wont drop when less than 4 shots are made and a mag change is required.  Not saying you will have the issue but something to look out for.  The round will slide forward a little locking the mag in when you try to release it.   

• 2 weeks later...