Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got a 929!

missed it by that much

My story starts out going to the local gun store which I had not frequented in about 4 years. It was president's day and I had the day off, I wasn't looking for anything in particular. OK, maybe a CZ tactical sport or a limited Witness. Yes I do like to study the culture of bottom feeders. Fascinating stuff. Anyway I'm browsing and what do I see. Not only a 929 but a 986. I tell myself I'll just hold it, cause I have only seen them on the net, not in person. Man this thing looks good and feels great in the hand. Then I begin to think of all the bad things I've read about them on the net. Then I remember my 627-4 in 38 super and my 627-5 in 357 and the performance and accuracy of these stellar guns. I think well I'll just look at the new one they have in the back. He gets it and hands it to me. I tell myself, I'm just looking. I look at the barrel nice and centered. I look at the forcing cone, pretty clean. The timing is good, crane spins straight. I think lady luck is with me. I want to pull the comp off and look and the crown but don't. I then remember the last time in Vegas when I thought lady luck was with me at the roulette table (that's another story that didn't end well). But this is another day and another story. The trigger is very tough maybe about 10-12 lbs. No! I tell myself. Then I think, I've already got moon clips, this titanium cylinder will spin so easy I'll be a gun wizard with this 929:bow:. I shake my head and pause... I announce, "I'll take it".

Well I get it home lighten the trigger for Winchester primers and I'm pretty happy. I'm excited I'm going to work up loads and find out the true potential of this  pistol (and not necessarily me).

I begin to clean it after firing it to get the trigger set up. Then I notice....the detent ball on the crane is missing which locks up the cylinder. Now that is some quality control going on there.  Oh well I take it and fire the rounds I have loaded at the range,. I was getting about 2" groups with .355 jacketed 115 zero's and .356 160,s and 135's coated with VV320 and Titegroup. I hope to work this down a lot more. I'll try some .358's when it returns from S&W. Just wanted to share this story for others and the lesson I learned. Remember just because your revolver has that long slender barrel doesn't necessarily mean that it has ball's. Please learn from my story.

Your result may vary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yep got it back fixed up ( new balls). Worked up a load with 160 grain bayou bullets sized to 356 in front of 3 grains of vv320 shoots just over an inch at 25 yds. Put a vortex red dot on it. Got the trigger at about 6 and a half pounds. Shooting Winchester primers. Hoarding the last of my federals until I find more. Still need to camfer the cylinders but I'm happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck and You'll be happy with your 929.

I've done everything to my 929 but chamfer the cylinders, as mine will eat a loaded moonclip quicker than Rosie O donnel can eat 8 donuts !

One thing that really helped my 929, was a good internal parts polish, Hone job on the hammer and trigger + lube, if your comfortable taking it apart and doing it yourself.

If your 929 reliably lights off Winchester primers at 6.5 lbs, it'll be able to light off federals at 5lbs.

The lightest I can go to reliably ignite Winchester primers, is 7.5 lbs.

I have it set at 6.5 to reliably ignite fed primers and it's been a very fun gun to shoot.

SJC

Thanks I polished the internals didnt hone the trigger though (not comfortable with that yet) also lightened the rebound spring to 11lbs. Didn't bob the hammer though. I did do that on all my other revolvers. I could go lighter but hording the last of my federal primers. Thanks for all the info. This forum is really helpful. Costly though I've bought way to many toys due to this forum.