Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flattened Federal Primers

jschweg

I've been using Federal primers in all my reloads since I started. I really like them because they don't give me any issues and always fit perfectly in all my mixed range brass unlike a few other brands that seem to be finicky.

Something that has always bugged me is that they are as flat as a pancake on all my spent rounds. This has always happened with all my different combinations of powders and loads. Factory rounds don't seem to do this.

I know my reloads are not particularly hot as all of them are within specs and validated on my Chrono, but is it because of the whole deal with Federal primers using a softer metal compound which results in more flattening?

Just wondering if others are seeing this with the feds.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I don't believe you're in the danger zone, but I wonder if

your chrono readings may be off - you may be loading

them a little hotter than you think ???

Are the rounds passing The Plunk Test?

Getting any bullet setback?

Yes, they plunk and spin. I measured the chamber in my gun and it's pretty huge, I could probably load them out to max and they would still fit.

I think setback is good too, I re-racked one of the rounds 10 or so times and then tried to muscle the bullet into the case on the end of my table and couldn't do it. Crimp is at .380 with the bullets at .356. I know technically they should be at .358 or so, but everything was staying put so I didn't adjust it any further.

While the 231 load I'm using is somewhat undocumented, the unique load was right out of my Lyman. The velocities I was getting out of those on the chrono were pretty close to the book numbers, so I *think* my Chrono is working as it should, but who knows with those infernal machines [emoji4]

If I look at the rest of the case, it looks OK. I don't see any excessive marring that would indicate any hard extractions, but I'm no expert.

Maybe I'll pick up some CCIs and load some rounds with those and see if they do the same thing. If those are flat, then obviously I have a problem somewhere.

They don't look bad at all. I run 5gr unique under 125gr cast no problem.

I always look at the outer edge of the primer for pressure signs.

Okay, good to know on the Unique load. What do you look for on the outer edge?

1 minute ago, jschweg said:

Okay, good to know on the Unique load. What do you look for on the outer edge?

Look at a new unfired round at the rounded edge of the primer. If your fired primer shows any change, that will be pressure issues. If the gap is gone and brass to primer is flat, time to back it down. As far as the firing pin dimple area that will change between different guns.

Primer flattening really isn't a reliable indicator of chamber pressure, especially with FC std primers which are favored by many because they have soft cups. Your primers appear to be quite normal. I've seen worse primers in unfired cases, flattened by seating them in the cases.

Primer flattening really isn't a reliable indicator of chamber pressure, especially with FC std primers which are favored by many because they have soft cups. Your primers appear to be quite normal. I've seen worse primers in unfired cases, flattened by seating them in the cases.

Okay, I'm glad everyone is basically saying they are fine. I didn't think that they were that bad, but they do look significantly flatter than various factory rounds that I have shot which is why I was questioning them.

• 6 months later...
Did Federal change the color of their primers? (first picture)  

Or is it not showing correctly?  The primers look like they are gold/brass color.
Just must be the picture, they are the normal silver color they have always been.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Federals are softer and I have noticed on my 650 that the brass wich have slightly tighter primer pockets do cause the primers to flatten out some as they get pushed in. So far not a single one has failed to go bang. Winchesters are a bit harder anddon't flatten out the same for me on tight primer pockets.