Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next modification

blacklab

I have a few 3 gun matches under my belt now and starting to make improvements on my rifle as I learn more. So far I dropped the weight of the rifle from 9lbs 8oz to 7lbs 10ozs by going with a 16" barrel and different hand guard, changed to a CMC trigger and just bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 that's better then the Leupold VX Hog  that was on it. So what is my next move? I would like to try to get the rifle to shoot a little flatter, it still moves pretty much on double taps. The comp that I have is a $25.00 Ebay one and the gas block is just a regular steel one. So I'm not sure if I should get a better comp or a adjustable gas block or start to look into a lighter bolt and buffer. As of now I only shoot Federal 55gr FMJ, their cheap and I can shoot sub moa groups with them. So where is my money best spent for now? I don't want to go in the wrong direction and start changing things and create problems for myself, as of now the rifle is 100% reliable. I'm not fully versed on tricking out a AR-15. I know when I was setting my STI open gun up I was my own worst enemy and learned everything the hard way. I don't want to go that rout again. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but keep in mind that I'm like most people and am on a budget.

Edited by blacklab

Keep in mind that for the best results with an adjustable gas block you will need the lighter bolt carrier and buffer. Those are best done all at the same time. Using the lighter carrier and buffer without an adjustable gas block will cause them to be shoved to the rear too fast causing them to prematurely fail and defeating your purpose. With just the gas block you won't be able to turn down the gas flow enough to make a significant difference without sacrificing reliability. The only one that can be done by itself is a comp/muzzle brake. It's also the cheapest.

For best results, do all of the above.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You sure you want to get the weight below 7 lbs 10 oz?   Liable to pick up

more muzzle rise if you get the weight down too low.

7lbs 10oz seems to be the right weight for me. When it was over 9lbs it felt sluggish, just wasn't happy with it.

49 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

Keep in mind that for the best results with an adjustable gas block you will need the lighter bolt carrier and buffer. Those are best done all at the same time. Using the lighter carrier and buffer without an adjustable gas block will cause them to be shoved to the rear too fast causing them to prematurely fail and defeating your purpose. With just the gas block you won't be able to turn down the gas flow enough to make a significant difference without sacrificing reliability. The only one that can be done by itself is a comp/muzzle brake. It's also the cheapest.

For best results, do all of the above.

That's what I needed to know. I think for now I'll start looking for a good comp. A little later down the road I'll change the bcg, buffer and gas block.(be prepared for more questions on a good combo for bolt, buffer and gas block)

Any suggestions on a good comp?

Edited by blacklab

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The Strike Eagle is a good scope, but if you can afford it, get a Razor :) 

I would have loved to get a Razor, but that was $1000.oo more then the Strike Eagle. If I bought the Razor I would have been sleeping on the couch for the next decade. You know how wives can be.

slapinthefacecomic.jpg