Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Division Front Fiber optic Size

tanfoglio1911

20 minutes ago, SWprotected said:

I have been running a Dawson 0.100 front sight, and it has worked well for me. I have considered going smaller so it doesn't cover as much of the target for longer shots. 

Well I guess this is the problem, I was used to shoot fast splits in open and trying to find the same results in limited. I am using a small fiber but had issues in terms of my accuracy when shooting fast. I think I need patience and wait for the right time when my eyes will get use of these iron sights. I read that some shooters love to use large front sight for quick acquisition but I am not sure if this will work for longer and tight targets.

10 minutes ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

Well I guess this is the problem, I was used to shoot fast splits in open and trying to find the same results in limited. I am using a small fiber but had issues in terms of my accuracy when shooting fast. I think I need patience and wait for the right time when my eyes will get use of these iron sights. I read that some shooters love to use large front sight for quick acquisition but I am not sure if this will work for longer and tight targets.

I use the .100 dawson also.  It  has worked very well for me.  Your right about the acquisition but the precision will be greatly lacking and that is exaggerated the longer the shot is.  

You may need glasses to 'crisp up' the picture of the front sight. Front sights are right in the area just about anyone over 40 has issues with. Throw on a pair of 'cheater' (inexpensive reading glasses) and get some sight pictures when dry firing.

Edited by The Donald

Your sight focus needs to be on the sight more than the FO.

the light bars between the front sight and rear sight blade is what allows fast accurate splits,

Also a slightly deeper notch also helps vertically with accuracy

short range target focus, mid range i.e. middle focus, long range front sight focus

LOL, open shooters have to remember to use the rear sight

7 minutes ago, The Donald said:

You may need glasses to 'crisp up' the picture of the front sight. Front sights are right in the area just about anyone over 40 has issues with. Throw on a pair of 'cheater' (inexpensive reading glasses) a get some sight pictures when dry firing.

You are absolutely right. I have issues in how to recover a good sight picture after my first shot. I am close to my golden age and this is why i love to shoot open division. I decided and challenged myself to shoot limited this time.

I preferred to use my prescription glasses than my contact lenses for the reason that I get a good sight picture of the front sight. I dry fire everyday and started shooting limited since the beginning of this year and sometimes disappointed when I see a MIKE in my scoresheet. I thought about maybe, a bigger front sight will help me with this issues. 

3 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Your sight focus needs to be on the sight more than the FO.

the light bars between the front sight and rear sight blade is what allows fast accurate splits,

Also a slightly deeper notch also helps vertically with accuracy

short range target focus, mid range i.e. middle focus, long range front sight focus

LOL, open shooters have to remember to use the rear sight

LOL you are right! I really need to go back to basic and learn how to use iron sights. I dry fire a lot and I am really working hard on how this things work during my live fire session.

I am determined to shoot limited this time and bump my class this year.

10 hours ago, SWprotected said:

I have been running a Dawson 0.100 front sight. I have considered going smaller so it doesn't cover as much of the target for longer shots. 

I shoot OPEN with a dot, but tried a 0.08" front sight, and it is a lot

like looking at the dot on my OPEN gun.

Don't use the top of the sight, but the round fiber optic sight, and

it's just like using an optical dot sight :)