Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sprints -- Can someone help me with a plan?

minnesota1

There’s a ton of good advice.  I have been pursuing the running and it helps. I’m that guy who wears the treadmill out and hates lifting.   But, I’m 39 and was really out of shape.  Over the last few months I’ve had to add strength training to get my legs caught up to my cardio.  I’ve found a mixture of squats, calf raises, and farmers carries have done wonders for explosiveness and sprints.  I particularly like doing a slow farmer carry over speed ladder patterns.  If you go heavy enough you work grip, core, and legs with one exercise.

Edited by mvslay

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I do 50 10 yard sprints for a speed workout. The first 10 are with a rolling start.  10 with left foot forward. 10 with right foot forward.  10 facing up range turning right.  And 10 facing up range turning left.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 10:30 PM, biglou13 said:

I'd add I some plyometrics....   Start with air squats  with perfect form!.   Jumping air squats.     Box jumps. Seated air squat seated jumping squat,  seated box jump.

Explosive back squat ( light weights) 

Now this is what I like to hear.  Jump squats, box jumps, from floor sprints.  That s#!t will have you fast as f*#k for this sport. 

• 4 months later...

This is just an idea you guys made me think of:Has anyone tried jump rope for foot speed? Not straight up, but boxing style? When I was into martial arts we would jump rope all the time and it was great for developing that small “bounce” needed to move feet quickly and “glide” around the floor.

look up videos of Floyd Mayweather jump roping if you’ve never seen it, it’s extremely impressive.

Has anyone tried this? If not I may try for a couple weeks and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a hill 50' from my front door that I've wanted to do interval sprints on.  Basically start at the bottom and go balls to the wall until the top, slowly walk/light sprint down and tear a** back up. repeat 2-4 times.  Studies show interval training is very effective.  it's just really unpleasant.

Just never got around to it.  I train weights only and have for years and now with a 1hr dryfire routine after dinner which follows 45-60 mins of weights... it's a nice thought! 

I'm doing tri-sets in the gym with shorter rest periods so I'm getting some cardio.  Enough but there is always more that can be done

On 8/7/2019 at 9:41 AM, BigJerm said:

This is just an idea you guys made me think of:Has anyone tried jump rope for foot speed? Not straight up, but boxing style? When I was into martial arts we would jump rope all the time and it was great for developing that small “bounce” needed to move feet quickly and “glide” around the floor.

look up videos of Floyd Mayweather jump roping if you’ve never seen it, it’s extremely impressive.

I've heard JJ Racaza talk about using a jump rope for GPP and footwork.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, BigJerm said:

I can skip rope like a mofo from boxing training years ago.  I don't see where it's made my shooting any better. 😂