Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX tubes with Grams spring and follower

itzjere

It's about time for me to switch out my springs on my 9mm MBX mags.  I've been reading that people are using Grams spring and followers.  I'd like to see how that is working out for everyone?  Any issues since switching?

I've also read that some modifications needs to be made (to the follower I'm assuming).  Could someone outline what those changes are?

Lastly, are people running 9mm kits, or 38/40 kits?

Thanks!

It's funny, for a while when I was looking to switch to mbx, I read how people had issues and Taran was giving people free followers and springs to fix their problem. I thought about buying tubes and basepads then ordering grams guts or tti to use.  When I kept reading people said the new follower and springs were better and would fix most people's problems.   So I bought complete mags to give it a go.  They were fine with 9mm but didn't work with 38s. 

I contacted Ted mbx about a question before I bought mags and he replied same day. I asked a follow up and never heard back.  So I'm not sure what they do, guessing it's nothing because every gun runs differently with 1911/2011 mags. 

To clarify, my mags are running just fine.. I have the 'older' generation tube and follower.. everything runs good, it's just time to change the springs so I'm just seeing if there are different options out there.

Sounds like to run the gram guts, a little trimming is needed on the follower to prevent slide lock, but that's about it?

Now that you mention it, my mags run fine with the MBX guts, but I do get the occasional round that goes under the follower and end up with a salt shaker..  I looked at my follower last night and it has a good amount of tilt on it.. I can see when the follower sets at the double stack/single stack funnel, that the follower would tilt and let a round under.. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Hunter1998 said:

Just replaced all my 9mm MBX mags with Grams followers and springs, has performed flawless. I now have 4 9mm mags and 4 40sw mags with Grams and springs. I have had great luck with this combo.

Can you post a photo of the follower and the area in which you had to take down a little to get them to fit/no lock the slide back?

I have eight MBX magazines, three had to be sent back to get them to work in my STI. I have one mag the ends up with rounds under follower if it is dropped with three to six rounds left. I've been considering switching springs and followers.