Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun holster

abb1

7 hours ago, JAF1680 said:

I run a DAA and when it is locked it is not coming out.  The one issue I have run into is with a full mag and a heavy gun, the holster can work its way loose on the pivot and the gun will move around a little.  This has only happened a couple of times in the past few years and is the result of a full 170 mag and the pistol part of the stage was after a long with both other guns first.

Are you running the Racemaster or Alpha-X? I had the same problem with the Racemaster. I had to Loctite and really snug it down and still never really liked it for anything but Steel Challenge and USPSA. The Alpha-X is, by far, more solid.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, until you are close to winning and that's what you are going for, your pistol draw is one of the last edges you can get in Multigun.  You have plenty of time to see what others are using in the meantime.  You can draw from a confidently secure Production/SS-legal holster and it won't affect your standings until you are in matches with 300+ competitors.  Until you get good at the rifle shooting and the shotgun reloading, anything related to your pistol gear is way down the list of improvements to make.  I use the same SS-legal Bladetech kydex holster for all disciplines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, thepunishur said:

Just had a guy get DQ from a gun falling out of a CR speed. I run a Safariland 014. When the lock is on, the gun ain't coming out.

Hmmmm, my guess is that he did not have it locked. With the CR Speed, it is a pain to lock/unlock during a stage run, sometimes this is incorrectly done or not at all. Bottom line is that the CR Speed is not a good holster for 3 Gun due to its locking system.

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

Hmmmm, my guess is that he did not have it locked. With the CR Speed, it is a pain to lock/unlock during a stage run, sometimes this is incorrectly done or not at all. Bottom line is that the CR Speed is not a good holster for 3 Gun due to its locking system.

Yeah, the RO asked if he wanted to lock the holster on the previous stage, and the shooter said he doesn't need to lock it. One stage later, he's complaining about being DQ'd.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 7:47 AM, toothpikk110 said:

2nd or 3rd on Safariland 014. Cant knowck the thing out of the holster locked or unlocked and if you forget to unlock it you may give yourself a hernia

Safariland 014 here as well. Last weekend, I was trying to knock my gun out while standing on the hotel bed the night before the match, and it wouldn't budge. I reached down to unlock it when I put it away, and realized I was jumping and beating on the magwell with the lock off. I ran around for 3 days without issue. 

With that said, I was still nervous that it was going to come out, and cause me a DQ at my first Major...

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I've been running a safariland 014 in both tac ops and Open, and have yet to have a gun fall out. I keep the holster locked until I need to draw; in most instances there is plenty of room to unlock it without slowing down the stage. 

Right now I'm using a crSpeed and shooting a tanfo open gun. It's fine for uspsa since I've never heard of a stage that requires you to run or move with the pistol being drawn, or the ability to have your hand on the gun while moving.  As for 3 gun, I hate it.  I do NOT trust the thing, I have had 2 instances where the gun "popped" out . Both times I felt it and was able to keep it on my but I had to stop and re insert and re lock the "retention" device. One time was just sitting down in a car it popped out and the other was a quick burst of movement.  As others have said it's pretty easy to draw the gun even while locked.   I will be getting a race master as soon as my new open gun is finished.  

• 2 weeks later...