Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun holster

abb1

Hi, I am trying to get my feet wet in 3 gun. Because of poor eyesight, I would like to shoot open. I presently have a CR Speed holster for IPSC. Would this be safe for 3 gun matches, or is there a better option? I would hate to be DQ'd with a gun that fell out.  I am shooting a Czechmate. Thanks

Edited by abb1

Yeah, I was thinking about DAA's Race Master, but I hear it is risky as well. I really would like to know what all those are using that shoot open. I think that all holsters can be drawn from the retention device, but I just would like to know which  is the most secure for 3 gun when it is retained. 

I don't shoot multi gun but I use a Race Master in USPSA and when it's locked the gun will NOT come out. I have forgotten to unlock it a time or two on a draw and could not force the gun out despite nearly castrating myself. :)

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I don't shoot multi gun but I use a Race Master in USPSA and when it's locked the gun will NOT come out. I have forgotten to unlock it a time or two on a draw and could not force the gun out despite nearly castrating myself. :)

Haha, that is good! I have done the same with my CR Speed holster and my gun has always came out.  Looking at the replies, I guess a new Race Master it is, although, I am not too sure if possible castration is better than a DQ :) .  

Thanks!

my issue with truly "open" holsters, ie, barrel is out there and not covered or protected, is it is very easy to jam that thing up with dirt, mud and gravel if going prone, kneeling or weird positions.  i had my limited gun in a WRS holster and still got a bunch of crap in thru the bottom of the holster.

Many folks around here are using the CR Speed holster for Open/Unlimited successfully.  I still use that holster for USPSA matches.

I used my CR Speed holster for 3 gun until I watched a competitor at Texas Multi-gun 2014 outrun his pistol on a stage.  I don't know any details of how or why the holster failed but there were no props to bump into or sharp moves to the right or left.  Just an explosive move downrange and oops went the gun.

I switched to a kydex holster (C.O.M) and could not be happier.  We've had a few stages where it made sense to holster a hot gun during a stage.  Easy with kydex.  Not so much with CR Speed.

I just switched to the Alpha-X for this season. I haven't been able to use it in a match yet but, it has all the adjustments and the mechanism of the Racemaster with a stronger mount. If you want to, it will use the Racemaster muzzle support. It's about $25 more but, I feel the stronger mount makes it worth it.

+1 for DAA. I had a CR Speed, it wasn't the best. They don't seem to hold very well. My buddy got a DQ last week when his pistol fell out of his Safriland 014. Go with the Race Master, you'll be happy with it.

Well, unfortunately, all I can get is the DAA racer holster as the others are all out of stock here and it is rare to get stock back in. Lol, Alpha-X isn't even on the radar here in Canada, maybe in about 2-5 years. The racer is supposed to have the same locking system as the race master, so it should be good for 3 gun. Thanks for all your help!

Edited by abb1

54 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Safariland 014 if it will fit. Covers the end of the barrel and when locked will not come out. Several of us use them for 3-gun.

gerritm

^Please read three posts up from yours^

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

^Please read three posts up from yours^

Been running this holster along with several of my friends with open guns for going on 3-years almost every weekend  and have never had it come loose unless you forget to lock it. It has a tension adjustment to tighten up the tension on the trigger guard if the lock is off. 

Even given myself a major wedgie when I forgot to unlock it on a draw. Gone prone and all different positions. Have to remember to lock it and adjust it correctly. I have seen a gun come loose with 1 shooting buddy, but he forgot to lock it. I cannot even pull it loose. Holster works for us. Only give my personal experience.

gerritm

Just bought an Alpha X for my Czechmate. Good holster, easy to adjust, but two points of contention. First, order a SP-01 insert and fit it to your Czechmate. The Czechmate / TS insert I received with mine allows way too much side to side play for the gun in the holster. Fore and aft is pretty tight, but side to side sucks. Talked with a friend that had the same problem with his racemaster, so I think the 'correct' insert is a little oversized. Second, it would be nice if there was an easy way to adapt the Alpha X to the ELS system for 3 gun.

35 minutes ago, JWBaldree said:

Just bought an Alpha X for my Czechmate. Good holster, easy to adjust, but two points of contention. First, order a SP-01 insert and fit it to your Czechmate. The Czechmate / TS insert I received with mine allows way too much side to side play for the gun in the holster. 

I always thought that the SP-01 insert was what you would use as I don't believe that there is a difference in the trigger guard retention between a TS and an SP-01.

Interesting, I will put my calipers to use when I get home tonight

Edited by abb1

The SP-01 insert is supposed to be slightly undersized. Saul has a video on his site for fitting the SP-01 insert to the TS/ Czechmate frame. AA now has a TS / Czechmate specific insert which is what I ordered, but it seems to be oversized. I'm sending it back for the SP-01 and will fit it to my gun. Happiness awaits, yada yada. Now to work on an adapter for the ELS.

2 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

The SP-01 insert is supposed to be slightly undersized. Saul has a video on his site for fitting the SP-01 insert to the TS/ Czechmate frame. 

Can you please post this link? I cannot seem to find the video anywhere, yeah, I looked at his site :( .Thanks

I use a DAA Racemaster for USPSA.  The lock lever is too small and not enough tension on it for me to feel comfortable using in 3-gun.  I started 3-gun with a new Limcat.  More substantial lock lever that has a lot more "feel" of tension to it.  Still really never liked the race holster for 3-gun.  Adam Weber of Weber Tactical in the St. Louis area made me a great Kydex one that is very secure.  It fits my comp'd 5" with thumb rest, racker, and frame mounted slideride.  

1 hour ago, Todd7446 said:

I use a DAA Racemaster for USPSA.  The lock lever is too small and not enough tension on it for me to feel comfortable using in 3-gun.  I started 3-gun with a new Limcat.  More substantial lock lever that has a lot more "feel" of tension to it.  Still really never liked the race holster for 3-gun.  Adam Weber of Weber Tactical in the St. Louis area made me a great Kydex one that is very secure.  It fits my comp'd 5" with thumb rest, racker, and frame mounted slideride.  

Yes, I hear a lot of good things about the Kydex holster, however they are not available for the Czechmate. 

Edited by abb1

7 minutes ago, abb1 said:

Yes, I hear a lot of good things about the Kydex holster, however they are not available for the Czechmate. 

Have you contacted Adam about that?  He has quite a few "blue guns" for models and adds more frequently.

Nah, I have given up contacted companies. They all say, 'we don't ship to Canada', so what is the point. So far, only Brownell's and CZ Custom ship to Canada as well as some other companies like DAA do, but the majority don't. 

Edited by abb1

• 2 weeks later...

I run a DAA and when it is locked it is not coming out.  The one issue I have run into is with a full mag and a heavy gun, the holster can work its way loose on the pivot and the gun will move around a little.  This has only happened a couple of times in the past few years and is the result of a full 170 mag and the pistol part of the stage was after a long with both other guns first.