Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blowbacks and LH shooters

I'm totally new to PCC (but not 5.56 carbines). Looking through posts, I see there can be some issues with blowback designs (most PCC) and LH shooters. I'm guessing the issues have to do with gas, unburnt powder, and possible brass in face. How big an issue is it with you LH shooters? Sig's are expensive.

I have build two PCCs from QC10 parts, and used to own a PSA 9mm AR.  In my experience, the only time I really had an issue with blowback as a lefty was when using a friend's kel tec sub 2k in 40.  I think it just didn't have the mass in the bolt to hold it forward long enough, and I would feel quite a bit of poweder/carbon whatever it was coming out of the chamber and peppering my face.  When I have used a heavier enough buffer in the QC10 guns, I don't have any problems with blowback.  I have never had a piece of brass hit me, but others may have had a different experience.  I would not hesitate to get a blowback 9mm again as a lefty, just run heavy buffers and you should be fine, mine has been just fine for me.

Lefty PCC shooter here.  If you're getting an AR9 I would highly recommend adding a gas deflector.  I have one on my AR9 and get zero gas blowback.  I've shot a friend's AR9 that had a slick sided upper and I did feel gas blowback with that.  Just be sure you get an upper that has the ability to install an ejection port door.  A lot of uppers used on AR9s don't seem to have this and you need it to install the gas deflector.

I built my PCC with an Anderson lightweight upper. It has a shell deflector, no provision for mounting a port door, therefore no way to mount a gas deflector. So far I have not gotten any brass or powder in the face. I'm loading 124gr. FMJs with Power Pistol to 130PF. 

Stag Arms makes a LH 9mm carbine...    I want to put a different trigger in it.. BUT.. don't know which one will run without going full auto.. any suggestions ?

In reading the other threads about PCC triggers, the hiperfire 24C gets mentioned a lot as being flawless. I know the JP trigger is also perfect since it comes in their rifles and two of my friends have been running them exclusively without problem. I'm running the POF flat face trigger, also without issue for many thousands of rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 hours ago, cecil said:

Stag Arms makes a LH 9mm carbine...    I want to put a different trigger in it.. BUT.. don't know which one will run without going full auto.. any suggestions ?

Thanks for all the replies.  I think Stag Arms stopped producing their 9mm.  I see Thureon has a LH model (those are some funny looking guns).

My current build is with a colt mag lower. The colt lower has a release bar on the left side which allows the use of a Troy mag release. The colt's mag catch in the front of the mag on the left side... the Glock lowers all have right sided releases. No left handed lowers or bolts available that I have found unless you want to run a lower withmag blocks...and then still no BCG

• 1 month later...

I run a lefty Stag 9mm with a Giessele SSA-E trigger, no issues. I previously tried 3 Gun triggers (both Giessele and Wilson combat) but neither worked.

20160806_165729_zpsylr577id.jpg
On 2/24/2017 at 11:42 PM, Gcarr said:

Only issue I have had is with the lower not having a left handed mag release. 

This, mine runs fairly clean with little blow back on my face with Titegroup & my loads. Never thought about the left hand mag release when I built it. I shoot my 3-gun AR with an ambi mag and safety and never use them as learned on right hand guns. Never really have a lot of reloading in 3-gun or have time when moving, no real classifiers unless you shoot 3-gun Nation.

gerritm

My wife shoots my 9mm AR conversion with no complaint of powder, gas or brass.  She has shot about six USPSA matches with it, and is intimately familiar with the brass and gas issues, as she has experienced those with her 223 and .22 AR's.

We have used Freedom 115, 124 and 147's as well as my handloaded 115, 124 and 147 gr rounds, both standard loads and down loaded to 125 pf from the rifle.

A LH Buddy shooting a PSA AR9 found TC Accessories brass deflector is good for keeping stuff from hitting your face when shooting left handed. I'm a lefty and the debris coming back at my face was the first thing I noticed when trying his PCC. After the TC accessories piece was added, it didn't seem to be an issue. It was the A3 style piece, you can mount where it the most effective. Powder choice plays a big part in reducing the "debris" coming back. Faster is better for blowbacks.