Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal to change holsters within a match for standards stages?

narwhal

Hello,

A quick question that I couldn't find addressed in the rule book.  Is it legal to change holsters within a match assuming they're both IDPA legal?

Reason I ask is I like to shoot normal stages that require concealment from the IWB holster I EDC the pistol with.  However on standards stages where there is no concealment required I'd like to switch to an IDPA legal OWB holster.  Would this be allowed or not assuming I went to a safe table and followed all safety procedures for changing the equipment?

Thanks.

i looked thru the rules several times and didn't see where it said you had to use the same holster for the whole match.  it did say the holster had to remain on the same side, and that mag pouches had to stay in the same location.

In general, I agree.  It would have been easy enough to say that you must use the same gun AND HOLSTER throughout the match.

But I don't want to see us headed for the "golf bag" approach to shooting. 

Edited by Jim Watson

I don't see "black letter law" against it in the rules, but I would disapprove on the grounds that it is not normal practice for concealed carry.  1.2.2 C

Open carry is not normal practice for concealed carry.
Does this make standards and the classifier illegal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Open carry is clearly not concealed carry at all.  (But it is legal in my jurisdiction.) 

Rule says: 

A concealment garment is required for all stages unless otherwise specified in the stage description. This includes

standards and limited stages.

So while it is customary to not require concealment for standards (Or in hot weather, Shoot Nekkid!), it must be specifically stated.  Only for the Classifier is concealment always optional. 

But I will still discourage the OP from changing holsters from stage to stage even though it is not specifically prohibited. 

And I've been called a gamer.........

While this isn't clearly addressed in the rule book to me it falls into the "if you have to ask if you can, you probably can't" kind of thing. like reasoning with a teenager.

You're making an equipment change mid match without approval, I bet someone would argue that into a FP for the competitive advantage you acknowledge it gives you in standards stages.

Most standards stages now seem to require concealment anyway, so I probably won't bother.  Today the club had a straight 10 yard el pres for the standards stage, concealment required.  I don't see how it's more gamey to use a concealed carry FBI cant IWB holster under a regular shirt for the stages where conealment is required than was if I just wore the fishing vest and an OWB straight drop gamer rig the whole time.  I would probably just ask the match director beforehand if I were going to do it, which I don't plan to now based on this discussion.

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 11:49 AM, narwhal said:

Hello,

A quick question that I couldn't find addressed in the rule book.  Is it legal to change holsters within a match assuming they're both IDPA legal?

Reason I ask is I like to shoot normal stages that require concealment from the IWB holster I EDC the pistol with.  However on standards stages where there is no concealment required I'd like to switch to an IDPA legal OWB holster.  Would this be allowed or not assuming I went to a safe table and followed all safety procedures for changing the equipment?

Thanks.

No. It is not legal to change holsters. See rule 8.5 A.(first one, not second)

A. Must be suitable for all day concealed carry, and worn on each stage regardless of the start position.

OR

5.2.1 A. or B. Happy catch all day...

OR

3.11 G. Adhering to purpose and such...

If you're changing holsters, then the holster in use is not being and cannot possibly be worn on each stage regardless of start position. 

Personally I am with you on the changing of the holsters for standards vs. regular stages, but why not wear the speedy holster all the time? Only reason I can see to change holsters is the presence of a primary weapon(wanting some sort of retention) or a weapon mounted light(needing a different holster profile). Of course now I've got a super cool Safariland ALS that stabilizes with or without the light, so I'm pretty sure I will be using it regardless.