Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone using an EGA primer hold down die had a primer detonation

I just picked up an EGA primer hold down die and have run about 2K rounds with it installed and have had zero issues with it. Hard to see how it could cause a primer detonation if properly set up but "sh...t" does happen at times.

Curious to know/hear from any of you that have been using the EGA primer hold down die in their 1050's as to if they have ever experienced a primer detonation while using the die.  If so, what happened and what was the damage, if any?  I like the die and will continue to use it, but its always good to hear from others that have more experience using the die than I do at this point in time.

thanks in advance.

I have about 6K through my new 1050 with AB, and I have had adn EGA primer hold down die in since almost day one.  I did have one primer wipe that went Pfffft, but it was due more to just getting the kinks of a new setup worked out and learning the ways of the 1050. If everything is setup right, I dont see how it could be the cause.  But stuff can happen, which is why you should always wear eye and ear pro when reloading. 

2 minutes ago, oteroman said:

What problems did you guys have to steer you towards this product? Varying depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was recommended to me as a must have for my new press.  Helps to ensure more consistent primer seating depth by taking shell plate flex out of the equation.

7 hours ago, oteroman said:

What problems did you guys have to steer you towards this product? Varying depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It has helped me with high and inconsistent primer seating depths. Once I installed the die and got it tuned for the brass I was using, I can consistently seat my primers between 0.003 - 0.007 below the case face.  I thinks its a good, cost effective addition to the press.  Its not a must have, but if you don't have the die, you will need to spend a bunch of time to really tweak the shell plate lock down ring in order to take out the vertical play of the shell plate, while still allowing it to rotate freely.  If you don't, you will have inconsistent primer seating depths.  The die helps to remove any seating inconsistencies due to vertical play in the shell plate.   For me, it just adds a higher level of consistency in my reloading.

I can't see this thing doing anything worthy, IF you use the swager (and the corrosponding hold down die) and have the powder station adjusted correctly for hold down force on the other side of the primer seat. Those should provide the consistent hold down force needed to keep good tension on the primer seat.

As always, if using mixed brass all bets are off on getting consistent seats.

jmho

jj

Eta; and if you get a primer detonation in the primer seat die, I would really hate to have that bolt in the case...

Edited by RiggerJJ