Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scaled target vs full size splits/time?

biglou13

i've been shooting scaled 1/3 and 1/4 targets at indoor range.    its been a few months since i shot full size targets.

for example shooting 1/3 scale target at at 3.33 yards (ish) to simulate 10 yards.   2.3 yards to simulate 7 yards  5

i've been shooting multiple drills for example,  Mozambique (ish)  drills at scaled targets

today i shoot full size idpa targets (patched up throw aways)   my times were approx  20% slower ?!.      i expected my time to be closer to scaled practice targets, not considerably slower.   even without timer you could tell the time difference.  and to top off slower times...... less accuracy, more dropped shots.......

anyone have any idea why the big difference?  

if my memory of geometry serves me the muzzle movement should be almost identical from scaled to full distance......

please advise......

Edited by biglou13

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Are you shooting with a target focus on the reduced size target?

good question Pat.  

i've been thinking about it all last night..... thing is my aiming process so subconscious... i'm not sure

i'm pretty sure i'm sight focusing    but i'm going to retest and rethink the process today?

whats your theory on target vs sight focus?

my hypothesis now is  poor(er)  vision issues at longer distances... im farsighted  (older eyes)  but i think its the relationship of level of focus  near field to farther field vision (full size target)

i spoke with a local instructor (i caught him in parking lot for the question),  he says as Pat alluded to, at closer targets  i'm using more strict front sight focus.  on larger target (idpa full size @ 7 yards),   either i'm not front sight focusing at all or not  enough, and that more than likely point shooting.  

i'm still adding /hypothesizing that with my bad eyes, adding further target  is throwing a wrench in things

moral of the story.....    use full size targets as often a possible,   get shooting glasses,  pay attention to front sight focus

ps.   my solution for  inexpensive full size targets,    cut out A zones on throw away cardboard target from recent match,   Draw outline with sharpie,   A zones with pencil  on a $10 roll of kraft paper from big box hardware store.       ( laugh because i left the range the other day and realized had more $ in pasters than on full size DIY target!!!)

I like to make things harder too, with reduced targets in dryfire. If you simulate 7yd targets you can get away with a ton in dryfire.

My "standard" dryfire target and distance from it roughly simulate a 12yd paper and 15yd poppers.

At that "distance" you need a sight focus to get hits, which helps keep you honest enough that you don't go to live fire and can aggressively shoot a 7yd target without dropping points.

(My typical live fire practice is at a dim indoor range, and that makes things sufficiently difficult by itself that I don't scoot the targets back)

Edited by MemphisMechanic