Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono results for N320, Prima V & Ba 9.5 (9 mm Minor PF)

muncie21

I've spent the past several weeks testing out different loads, powders and bullets.  Here's a summary of my results.  All the tests were at least a 10-shot string (most are 15) and shot from a CZ SP01.  OAL for TCG bullet is ~1.070 and RN are ~1.10.

In short the Prima V has variability in particle size, however it meters (in my Dillon 650) a bit better than the N320 but not enough to choose one over the other.  The Prima V is a touch smokier, but half the cost.  I'd definately consider using Prima V if N320 is not available. 

The Ba 9.5 powder is a very consistent small, almost disk shaped powder (similar to N320, but small particles) but is not as close of a match to N320 when comparing powder charge vs. velocity. Not very much smoke from the Ba9.5 either.

chrono_zpschuvof2a.jpg

Edited by muncie21

5 hours ago, 57K said:

Maybe next time you can load the 135 RN with 9 1/2, but looking at the 124s charged with 320 and 9 1/2, it's pretty clear that 9 1/2 is indeed slower burning than 320.

I just received a resupply of bullets yesterday, so I'll try the 135 and 147s while I still have the powder out.

Here's what I paid for the 3 powders, not including taxes or shipping/hazmat:

N320      $36 (1#)

Ba 9.5    $21.5 (1.1#)

Prima V  $14.95 (1.1#)

You can see from the chrono results, metering, cleanliness and cost, which is my 'go to' powder for 9mm MPF.

Here's a picture of the 3 powders

Powders_zpsxpkjh8ly.jpg

Edited by muncie21
Added pictures

To finish the testing with the Ba 9.5, I loaded up two additional test sets with 135RN and 147FP Bayou bullets, using powder drop (from N320/Prima V) that produced low/mid 130 PF in my previous tests.

The 147 was a bit of a disappointment with this powder charge.  The gun cycled each round, with the shells landing consistently between 3&4 O'clock.  They didn't eject very far, maybe 2-3' at most.  Soft recoil, perhaps for plinking, but definitely not usable (with this load) for USPSA.  Using N320 or Prima V, I can get the same bullet comfortably within minor PF.  I'm not going to perform any further development with this projectile/powder combo.

I tested the 147 first, so I was a bit surprised at the results for the 135 bullet, as I was expecting similar low velocities.  While the Ba 9.5 is a bit slower than n320 and Prima V at the same charge, this load may be worth additional testing.  Recoil was very smooth (not 'snappy), shot clean with very little smoke and ejected the shells consistently at 3/4 O'clock about 5-6' away. 

Bayou%20135RN_147_Chrono_zpsbqboqnud.jpg

I decided to compare accuracy of the Ba 9.5 load to my Prima V, both with 3.5g of powder and the same bullet.  The picture at the bottom shows the results; same distance and time (about .5s) between shots.  BTW, this is unsupported, 'free style' so the credit for some of the fliers may be mine, rather than the cartridge/gun.

Bayou%20135RN_zpsdnflelno.jpg

Edited by muncie21

4 hours ago, 57K said:

...though I did note that you don't plan to push forward with the 147 and Ba 9 1/2.

Here's my thoughts for not moving forward with load development of 147 bullets and the Ba 9.5 powder (perhaps my concerns are misplaced; I'd appreciate any corrections/clarifications)

While developing loads the same 147 bullet using a different powder, I became concerned with the free cartridge volume after calculating powder charge and bullet seating depth (remember I seat a bit deeper than typical, because of the CZ's short barrel lead-in) and this was with 3.0 gr powder charge.  After doing the math and considering a safety factor, I expect that the Bayou or BBI 147 bullets could be loaded a bit stiffer than 3.0 grains of the powders I was testing and not compress the powder, however there's not a lot of space in there, especially when you consider that I'm using mixed brass and don't measure each and every bullet.

Seeing the low velocity with the Ba 9.5 (at the same powder charge that easily put the round in the 130's PF with other powders) I expect the pressure vs. powder charge to be exponential rather than linear because at some point the powder will get compressed, which should jolt the pressures very high;  I could be wrong with this hypothesis, so if anyone experience with this please share.

@57K you're correct the Prima V and Ba 9.5 are closer in size than either is to the N320. Different being that the Ba 9.5 has a very consistent size, whereas the Prima V has varying size 'grains'; I think someone on this forum referred to them as looking like 'Nerds' candy. 

Edited by muncie21