Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV IMM barrel

Aric

Last I heard they do not typically sell the IMM length barrel (appx. 5").

They sell a 5.5" for a full length slide. IIRC the IMM has is an AET configuration and the barrels they sell separately are not.

Glenn Rasch at LSI was able to confirm adequate material for lockup, mill a portion of the rib off and thread a 5" Schumann hybrid for a SS (midlength) build. I love the length and balance of it and lockup is perfect.

Aric,

SV sells hybrid threaded barrels for 5" guns.  IMM's are 4.5" guns.  Schuemann would have the capability to make one, but they don't list it on their website and may have agreed with SVI not to sell them.  I've been meaning to give them a call about this.  Currently, KKM offers a non-hybrid threaded 4.5" barrel for modified length builds.  That's all I know of. 

2 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Aric,

SV sells hybrid threaded barrels for 5" guns.  IMM's are 4.5" guns.  Schuemann would have the capability to make one, but they don't list it on their website and may have agreed with SVI not to sell them.  I've been meaning to give them a call about this.  Currently, KKM offers a non-hybrid threaded 4.5" barrel for modified length builds.  That's all I know of. 

When you say a 5" gun you mean a full length, government slide, correct? In that case the barrel would be 5.5", and you would need to add a .4 to a half inch to all of your other numbers to include the part of the barrel that is threaded unless you are talking about a cone comp gun.

Just trying to clarify so nobody orders the wrong barrel. My understanding is that the IMM barrel is around 5" to the crown. I don't have one here to measure but someone probably does.

I tried to reach out to Schuemann about ordering a 5", threaded IMM length hybrid barrel and didn't have any luck. I tried to order or backorder a 5", plain hybrid and didn't have luck with that either. You may have better luck, and if that is the case I wouldn't mind ordering one and I can think of some others who would probably want to order as well, if they do a limited run.

mike is on the right track. most "5inch" open guns are running a 5.4 or 5.5 inch barrel with a regular government slide. 

The IMM is basically a government slide with the front half inch chopped off. So the barrels in those are approx 5 inch to the crown as Mike pointed out. They are not really a common shape/size as they are effectively 4.5inch to the front lockup surface with around half an inch of threaded end to the crown. 

I 'think' your best bet will be Schumann as I don't believe SVI will sell either IMM slides or IMM barrels (as pointed out all their retail barrels are also non-AET). 

I bought an IMM on here and it is fantastic(black slide).  My friend has an older SV for sale with different style barrel and comp(stainless) I am trying to cost effectively duplicate my gun.  I assume the same barrel and comp should make the guns "feel" very close.  

It it seems like rebarreling should be fairly easy...

IMG_0770.JPG

30 minutes ago, MikeRush said:

When you say a 5" gun you mean a full length, government slide, correct? In that case the barrel would be 5.5", and you would need to add a .4 to a half inch to all of your other numbers to include the part of the barrel that is threaded unless you are talking about a cone comp gun.

Just trying to clarify so nobody orders the wrong barrel. My understanding is that the IMM barrel is around 5" to the crown. I don't have one here to measure but someone probably does.

I tried to reach out to Schuemann about ordering a 5", threaded IMM length hybrid barrel and didn't have any luck. I tried to order or backorder a 5", plain hybrid and didn't have luck with that either. You may have better luck, and if that is the case I wouldn't mind ordering one and I can think of some others who would probably want to order as well, if they do a limited run.

I refer to guns and barrels by their gun size (aka slide length).  Obviously a threaded barrel in a 5" gun will measure 5.4-5.5" and a non-threaded will measure about 5".  A threaded barrel in a 4.5" gun will measure about 5" and a non-threaded about 4.5".

I do this because the gun size (slide length) is what really matters.  Saying 5" barrel when you are talking about a threaded barrel in a 4.5" gun seems to confuse people because there is also a 5" barrel in a non-threaded government length gun.  So I don't say 5" barrel when talking about a 4.5" gun.  It's up to you to understand whether the 4.5" gun is a threaded or non-threaded barrel.  Plus the threaded length varies anyway so what its length is ends up being irrelevant, but it's relevant what size gun it fits in.

So, I go by gun size and realize if you are using a threaded barrel you have about 0.5" more barrel than the gun size.  

In my above post I should've said KKM has a non-hybrid threaded bull barrel for a 4.5" gun.

Edited by theWacoKid

3 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

jeezuz that thing must be loud and need a lot of powder with all 6 holes in the barrel! I've seen IMM's with 2, 3 and even 4 holes but I've never seen one using the full 6 holes including the 3 square holes with a comp as well. yikes!

It is very loud!  10.1 grains of 3n38 drove the gun down.  

2 hours ago, Aric said:

it seems like rebarreling should be fairly easy...

IMG_0770.JPG

As you can see the islands are not the same size; therefore to rebarrel the old slide it would have to be milled and fit... it is easier for them to cut a new slide for the new style barrel than it is to modify this older pistol... they also have two years worth of new guns to build. Do the math, it's a business and fitting the old gun with a new barrel would cost so much  shop time and smith time it is not worth it for them.... it's also more work. By the time you paid the shop time and smith time you'd be into it for really close to a top half. 

New top end $3500+/- or so.... extra barrel fit when purchasing a new pistol... $1900+/-.

On 2/23/2017 at 1:35 PM, theWacoKid said:

Aric,

KKM also sells 5" Barrels, but they are special order. Atlas sometimes has them in stock if you call. Hack off .400" from your slide and you are in business. 

Edited by accu9

yep, that will get you 90% of the way to an IMM. it won;'t have the island of course but you can still drill popple holes and cut a slot in the slide for them. then add some more slide lightening to get the slide weight down similar to that of an IMM. My IMM slide weighs in at 8.2oz.....!!

• 2 weeks later...