Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi-Power in Single Stack

buckley

The High-Power is a double stack gun.   It isn't a 1911 design, has different features.  

Single stack specifies "only 1911 production type pistols",  has its basis "in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning..." (Special Conditions of Appendix D5)

Edited by teros135

5 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I think we need to create a new division for the heaps of people who want to shoot a Hi Power in USPSA!

:devil:

Something like ... Limited?

For the "heaps", of course.

Edited by teros135

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-Powers are a great gun, but not a 1911 SS. In the beginning, some people shot them and the capacity advantage outweighed the minor scoring. However, in the "modern" era, it really does not fit anywhere but limited minor. Even there 15 round mags just do not give it any advantage since we are 8 round neutral. I have two very nice ones in my safe. I used it as a calibration gun for years until I had my 1911 SS 9mm built. I looked at the Nighthawk version. It would make a great carry gun for a big guy like me.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really nice custom Hi-Power that came from a friend of mine, and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot.  I have won steel matches with it, against shooters using more "modern" designs of all sorts.  For me, the Hi-Power has better ergonomics than pretty much any other handgun.  

Edited by Carmoney

On 2/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, PatJones said:

The 1911 is the only gun in the world that needs special protection from all other firearm types. It's just not a very competitive design.

....says the revolver guy?!

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The other problem with a Hi-Power is they are soft - not meant for the kind of shooting we do.

Back in the day, 3,000 rounds was considered a lifetime achievement, not a good 3 month's practice.    :huh:

3 months practice?

We shot that in a single weekend with a big name GM teaching a class. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I shot 1,000 rounds in two days with a GM, and needed bandages afterward.    :ph34r:

BUT, 12,000 rounds/year seems to be around my average for the entire

year, including the long weekend.    :)

You must have very tough hands, and a larger wallet than mine.    :bow:

On 2/23/2017 at 11:21 AM, buckley said:

Has there ever been discussion of allowing Browning Hi-Power pistols in Single Stack (say, with M1911 magazine limits)? It seems as though while the Hi-Power is a classic IPSC and USPSA pistol, the only place for it now is Limited or Limited 10.

Classic pistol? Yes, classic competition pistol? No. Haven't ever seen one inUSPSA, don't know about IPSC, we don't shoot that here. And unless it was a Bill Laughridge custom from Cyclinder and Slide, it would be junk anyway. I guess there is at least on BHP in Florida, though...