Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Thoughts on Power Pistol

rustybayonet

In my area powder isn't hard to find, the hard thing is to find what you want. I picked up 4# of power pistol $22 a pound so I figured I give it a try. There is a lot of data out there and with 4# I will be able to work up a load. 

What are your thoughts on it, dirty, smokey, too fluffy?

Are you going for a minor PF load or major for open. I have tried it for minor PF when I was first getting started. At those levels it wasn't building enough pressure because of how slow of a powder it is, and was very dirty, leaving un-burnt powder all over the place. Your results may very though...

+1 on what Wayne reported. PP excels in my 38 Special +P silhouette loads as well in 44 Special pin loads.

Extremely accurate with very low shot to shot velocity variation,

Forget about loading it down, however.

Now working up heavy bullet loads in 9MM, 357 Sig and 38 Super.

I've had nothing but good result with Power Pistol and it really does well with one of my favorite 9mm loads - very accurate.

Bullet:  Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.145
Average Velocity:  916.41 fps 
ES:  30.58
SD:  10.04

Gun:  Glock 17L with Lone Wolf Barrel.

When I want to impress people at the indoor range I use this in my Trubor .38 Super.  The flash above the comp is IMPRESSIVE!

Bullet:  Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 7.6 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Rifle
Case:  Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL:  1.240 (.976 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.:   1374.22 fps 
ES:  44.61 
SD:  13.56

Gun:  STI Trubor

This Youtube video by NicTaylor00 gives similar fireballs (using VV 3N37, which is similar in performance)

Edited by pbcaster45

I've used it for 9 major, and I personally think it's okay/pretty good for that. I shot it for a little while in my limited gun (40) during the big powder shortage a couple years ago, and I can not recommend trying that. Loading it down to only around 170 pf with 180s was horribly dirty, tons of unburnt powder. If the light was right you could actually see the sparkles of powder coming out of the muzzle while you were shooting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk