Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Touching versus interfering with a target?

dhb

4.16.1 Shooters or their delegate will not touch or interfere with any target that has just been shot and has not yet been scored by the SO team. If a target is interfered with by the shooter or designee before it is scored, that target will be scored as all misses.

Is touching a target always equal to "interfering"?  As it is written, it seems that touching a target without poking at a bullet hole or removing a patch is not penalized.  It says "will not touch" but in the sentence that gives the penalty it only mentions "interfered with"...

Edited by dhb
typo

On 2/23/2017 at 7:58 AM, dhb said:

Is touching a target always equal to "interfering"?  

Yes.

The writer isn't very consistent, just like how it says delegate in one sentence and designee in the other. It's not legalese, and shouldn't be made into it.

I don't know why it's so hard for people to  understand this little rule.  As an RO I've had shooters push through a patch and then ask if that was a good hit or not.  I gave them the penalties they deserved.  In my old Archery days you had to stand 1 yard away from targets while they were being scored.  If you didn't like the call the Range Master would have to come by to overturn or approve the call.  If you touched the target you got a zero  for that string.  I guess since we were shooting for hundreds of dollars we took the rules more seriously.

It says "will not touch OR interfere" - so don't touch. Seem pretty straight forward.   Touching raises doubt....  99% of time nothing untoward would be intended, but how do we know the shooter/designate did not push a pinky into a hole, knock off a piece of loose tape, stick back down a piece of tape on a no shoot, etc? Don't touch. Can you point? Ask? Ok.  Touch? No good.