Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm open CFE pistol?

3djedi

On 2/23/2017 at 7:49 AM, Dink said:

I use 7.6gr of cfe pistol with 124gr montana gold hp. Gives me 175pf in STI DVC OPEN. Takes this much to make my comp work well. I also found cfe to be almost identical to autocomp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Would that be the same with FMJ's and a KKM barrel? 

5 hours ago, Victor_R said:

Would that be the same with FMJ's and a KKM barrel? 

Every gun and barrel combination will be different. You need to chrono your load in your gun. This is especially important in major PF. I had a load at 174PF that I chronoed with a different gun and came up with 186PF, quite a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested CFE and autocomp of the same PF back to back doing things like bill drills and Blake drill. I couldn't tell them apart. Seemed identical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Banacek. Don't know why your results are different. My load is Montana Gold 125hp, oal 1.150  CFE Pistol 7.6 gr. shot in 2 identical STI DVC OPEN's. My avg velocity the last time I tested was 1436fps. Temp was in mid 80's.

Shot Illinois Sectional on Aug 13th and match chrono measured at 1443fps so I'm pretty confident in my data.

4 hours ago, Banacek said:

I know a few autocomp users up here and they are loading 7.0 to 7.2 grains but I do not have their chrono data. Now I am curious about the data and want to verify again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use 7.0 gr Autocomp with 124 gr bullets loaded at 1.165. I consistently get 1400 fps (+- 20) I like the way my gun shoots at this PF, I've gone up and down from this load and always come back to this. Funny thing is that CFE Pistol and Autocomp are almost identical at lower levels (minor PF, up to about 150), I can switch between the two powders, not change the setting on my powder drop and get the exact same weight and the exact same velocity over the chrono, but when I go into major PF, the CFE pistol doesn't feel the same as the AC, nothing that I can pinpoint with chrono, just feels less "smooth".

On 9/11/2017 at 5:47 PM, Dink said:

Banacek. Don't know why your results are different. My load is Montana Gold 125hp, oal 1.150  CFE Pistol 7.6 gr. shot in 2 identical STI DVC OPEN's. My avg velocity the last time I tested was 1436fps. Temp was in mid 80's.

Shot Illinois Sectional on Aug 13th and match chrono measured at 1443fps so I'm pretty confident in my data.

This data blows my mind.  I am loading to oal of 1.160 and your load is shorter and has more powder.  I am wondering if you are not burning all your powder, did you test at lower amounts?  I am also curious what your primers look like after shooting.  I will take some pictures this weekend of my brass, I don't pick it up like I used to with my 38 super!  :-) 

33 minutes ago, Banacek said:

This data blows my mind.  I am loading to oal of 1.160 and your load is shorter and has more powder.  I am wondering if you are not burning all your powder, did you test at lower amounts?  I am also curious what your primers look like after shooting.  I will take some pictures this weekend of my brass, I don't pick it up like I used to with my 38 super!  :-) 

What type of bullets are you using? Montana Gold's are about as slow as it gets.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:54 AM, 3djedi said:

What's a chrono?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

not to highjack your thread but i shot the metal rod on my prochrono a few years back, called the factory to get replacement and told the nice woman on the phone" yeah some idiot shot one of the sunshade rods", she said no problem, by the way how do you spell idiot on your credit card.  lol

• 3 weeks later...

STI_DVC_CFE_LoadData.jpg.69201dba500035871700bf7e53650ee0.jpg

I have to amend this data.  I have been using small RIFLE primers for my loads not knowing that some people consider these to be similar to MAGNUM primers.  I am not sure about that but that could be part of the increased velocities for my loads.  

I have new data using small pistol primers (I was going to to confirm this data but it did not turn out that way.  Now, I will do some specific testing with Small Pistol primers and small Rifle primers to check these results. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2017 at 5:49 AM, Dink said:

I use 7.6gr of cfe pistol with 124gr montana gold hp. Gives me 175pf in STI DVC OPEN. Takes this much to make my comp work well. I also found cfe to be almost identical to autocomp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What is your OAL?