Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Mag Holders

I'm getting some question's about mag holders or best mag holders for the PCC big sticks.

I guess there is some version that hangs well below the belt.

I don't know much about PCC yet and found the below wording in the USPSA PCC rules section.

"All ammunition is carried on the belt, just like with handgun ammo. There are no placement restrictions for mag pouches."

Is there any type that would not be considered legal for PCC or as long as any part is attached to the belt, your good to go?

I don't know if there has been a specific BoD/DNROI ruling, but the two rules that COULD come into play are:

5.2.4 During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them...

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:
5.2.7.1 A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise)...

Thus, a PCC magazine may be carried in a purpose made carrier mounted anywhere on the belt, or in "apparel pockets" (presumably this means pants or jacket pockets). The "no placement restrictions" wording I think means the mags don't have to be carried behind the hip like in Production and SS.

In my mind,there is some uncertainty about whether a drop/thigh carrier is permissible. Although such a device would presumably be attached to the competitors belt per 5.2.4, one could argue that it would fall afoul of 5.2.7.1 if it was also secured with straps around the thigh (as most do). My personal opinion is that the "tie-down rig" wording is a legacy of the old leatherslap days and is intended to prohibit tie-down HOLSTERS, but alas the use of the imprecise word "rig" leaves this open to interpretation. Hopefully there has been or will be a clarification by DNROI. Maybe someone else is more current on this point.

For myself, I made my own Kydex carriers to mount to my ELS belt. Problem solved in a fast, secure and 100% legal manner.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

For my short magazines (stock Glock 17 rd + 5 rd Dawson basepad) I use my old and reliable Safariland 771 magpouches for STI/SVI magazines.  Works well and I've yet to drop a magazine.

For my big stick (Glock 33rd + 5rd  Dawson basepad for 36 rds total) I can use one of the 771's but its a little top heavy.  Good enough to carry the magazine to the line but not steady enough if there is much movement.  That's OK with me since my reloads with the shorter magazines are much faster than with the bigstick.

Bill

I am a lefty, I had this PCC belt pouch made for me by Gut Level Gear.  The mag sits at about a 40 degree angle up from the belt with a Blade tech attachment.  It's my design, an email or two and this is what GLG came up with.

FB_IMG_1478279198016.jpg

On 2/22/2017 at 11:09 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

For myself, I made my own Kydex carriers to mount to my ELS belt. Problem solved in a fast, secure and 100% legal manner.

did you make the holster longer so the magazine wouldn't fall out. 
I'm looking to purchase 3 30 round glock mags. and with the length and weight I was wondering which mag pouch would hold up to the 
running and movement without the mags falling out. 

Thanks for help

18 hours ago, kidmcclintock said:

did you make the holster longer so the magazine wouldn't fall out. 
I'm looking to purchase 3 30 round glock mags. and with the length and weight I was wondering which mag pouch would hold up to the 
running and movement without the mags falling out. 

Thanks for help

Yes, mine are about twice the length of a regular competition pistol mag pouch. They completely wrap around the mag and fit it very closely. Fast and secure.