Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 MOS Gen 4 -Will Taran Tactical sights co witness w/ Vortex Viper Red Dot?

minnesota1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 9:29 PM, 9x45 said:

No, they will not. Standard Glock front  is .215". Why do you think you need co-witness anyway? Open Division USPSA guns have been around for decades without Tactical Teddy co-witness.

this is second place I've seen you say this bullshit? You can't honestly be comparing slide mounted red dots to Open division FRAME mounted red dots? i've been shooting slide mounted dots for 10 years or more, since before they were the cool thing, and i have had even the most robust red dots fail when they are mounted on a slide, be it a recoil thing or an electronics thing. and then your stuck freaking "window aiming" your gun through the rest of the stage. I've been saved by my BUIS on pistols numerous times, more times than I'd like to admit.

Colt, you are the one that is full of BS. Dots are dots are dots. Oooh, and you have been shooting dots for a whole 10 years? How come your'e not classified YET??? Or do I have the wrong guy...Open Minor (why?) .Austin B? 6/2016? Only results count, not posts. So you ran co-witness sights even before Carry Optics?

But, back to the OP's question Will they co-witness with a Vortex Viper 6 moa red dot? vortex Viper Red Dot

No they will not.

Edited by 9x45

Lol, for obvious reasons that is horrible logic, dots are not dots are not dots. and because for years I wasn't registered, I didn't care (still don't), I only just registered in '16. Classifier's don't classify the unregistered. Also, I have had dots on my carry guns and duty guns for quite some time as well, my experience with dots hasn't just been on the comp scene. Open minor because at that time CO was mag-limited, and f*#k that noise. Right, I've been running BUIS since I first picked up an RMRed gun years ago, I was advised by some solid dudes that was the way to go, and that advice has paid for itself ten-fold. I'm a little surprised that someone who has been shooting competitively for 4x longer than I have is as serious as he is about not needing BUIS on a RDS'ed pistol. 40 years of shooting USPSA and IPSC is enough time to learn to keep failsafes on everything, BuIS on your rifles, BuIS on your pistols, back up guns, back up cars, back up wife, back up your computer, back up everything. Because stuff breaks, stuff fails, and its better to be prepared when it does go down. This is pretty rudimentary knowledge.

Colt, it's just a game. Try running your dot on an El Prez at 3 and 7 yards, on the clock, then with iron sights, and  then without sights at all. Dots are slower up close. The classifier is CM-99-11 (normally 10 yards). Our agency does not authorize the use of dots, on or off duty.

Your right, its just a game. But on the street, its not. If your LEO, you know that. And having BUIS in a firefight is sure better than dying, you probably agree with that as well. If your agency doesn't authorize the use of rds, and your strictly using a rds gun for gaming, sure.... do whatever you please, because as you said its just a game and in games losing isnt permanent. But if the OP may ever carry that pistol as part of an edc, Why advise him he doesn't need BUIS? Why not have that failsafe in case the rds does go down? f*#king A right, his life is worth the measly 45 bucks that sights may cost him. Sure, they may cloud the window a little bit, still way f*#king better than dying. That goes for the other OP's who you've advised they don't need them.

3 hours ago, colt1911 said:

learn to keep failsafes on everything, BuIS on your rifles, BuIS on your pistols, back up guns, back up cars, back up wife, back up your computer, back up everything.

This is pretty rudimentary knowledge.

This is the dumbest shit I've heard today.

You're a ridiculous sounding mall ninja colt, just quit while you're way behind.

This is the dumbest shit I've heard today.

You're a ridiculous sounding mall ninja colt, just quit while you're way behind.
[/quote

Lmao. And yet again,@jimmybob, not contributing a single f*#king thing to the forum. You making quite a name for yourself.

How bout you illustrate how my "shit" is wrong, so learning can be facilitated. I'd also be really interested in hearing about how I'm a mall Ninja. Do tell.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How about the obvious for the rest of us?

Someone asks a question about whether two pieces of gear work together and someone else answers him with a no, but why are you using them together since this is a competitive shooting forum and competitive shooting doesn't usually use them. 

Then out of nowhere you come in like an angry hobo cussing at someone for having an opinion that's different than yours, but happens the be the opinion of the far majority of dot shooters in the sport, trying to pretend like you have some vast experience with LE/Mil backgrounds and yet you sound like an uneducated buffoon that's just trying to pick a fight.

Im not sure if that first part was a question? I've already stated why I use them? Read above. I think you are confused about what the general consensus of shooters say about back up iron's on an RMRed pistol?

My apologies on the uncivilized banter. But as for "the majority of dot shooters," I would ask how you know this to be fact, and not just you and 9x45? Because the majority of shooters I see with slide mounted red dots have BUIS... A huge majority in fact.

Lol so I went from a mall Ninja to an uneducated buffoon. LMAO.
I assure you, I am neither. Personal attacks get this discussion nowhere, buddy. Let's keep this civil here on out, I will do the same.

3 hours ago, colt1911 said:

I would ask how you know this to be fact, and not just you and 9x45? Because the majority of shooters I see with slide mounted red dots have BUIS... A huge majority in fact.

At USPSA matches every single serious competitior I've seen with a gun setup for CO either has no irons on the gun, or they have a front post only.

If you plan to use the gun outside of cardboard punching, that's going to be different. But we're talking about gaming guns here.

The purpose of Carry Optics is to increase the $$$ into the game, just like PCC. If that was true, then IDPA would have jumped on Carry Optics, but they didn't....The games are just entertainment, not Tactical Training. But of course to be fast and accurate helps in the real world also. The simple numbers are that everyone I've seen shoot at the Nationals, and Area 2 and Area 1, do not use back up sights. 

Right. I didn't say tactical training, we all know gun games are far from that. Agreed.
Also, the dudes your seeing at nats, NEVER carry those guns outside of a square range. So whoopdidoo if their red dot goes down, just pull out the second gun and go to work instead of just transitioning to iron's, makes sense, lol. But for a dude (OP) that's gonna shoot his actual carry gun in "carry optics," not having backup iron's COULD get him killed on the street. That was the only point I've been trying to make. Although, BUIS have still saved my ass in gaming as well.

Colt, maybe you would be better off shooting IDPA, Suffice to say that IDPA was founded on the principle that there should be a shooting sport that remained true to the “real world scenario” and more importantly, used “real world guns and equipment”.The basic concept is simply this: Using a gun that you might really carry for self-defense, in a holster that you might really carry it in, and concealed by a cover garment as would be required for civilian or off duty concealed carry – shoot a scenario-based course of fire under artificial stressors like the timer and peer pressure.

But, wait a moment! There is no Carry Optic Division in IDPA....... But, but, but it says real world guns and equipment.

Why Not Carry Optics (CO)?
The recent online survey asking whether shooters would prefer CCP or CO showed significantly more than twice as many people wanted CCP vs CO. Additionally, NFC results today around the country show almost no Carry Optic participation, so interest in CO equipment is just not there today. Carry optics would require most competitors to spend about $1000 or more to compete, and IDPA principles have always said that IDPA is about firearms the shooters already own. That said, IDPA will reevaluate this decision from time to time.

Lol, no. IDPA makes even less sense.

9x45, I believe you are implying that I shoot games for a "real world benefit/scenario?" Simply, just not what I'm getting at here. Your missing my point. I can simplify it even further if you'd like.
I'm not Tactical Tessy or anything, I am only saying if a person is ACTUALLY going to use a carry optics gun, AS a carry gun IRL, your given advice to not have BUIS is ludicrous.

No, I'm not saying you need to play games the way you would IRL, and LMAO, I'm definitely not saying competition would get you killed IRL.