Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Primer Hold-Down die for .308

roxfo

Hi,

I was about to order the primer hold-down die from EGA, but they say it's not for use on rifle brass.  Does anyone know of a solution that would work for rifle, specifically .308?  After all, if it reaches the head of a .45 case it should reach a .308, and it's only doing the same job as a swage back-up die.

Does anyone else use the EGA primer hold-down die with .308/rifle brass, or is there another solution that can be purchased or engineered?

Thanks!

I took some measurements of the opening on that station on the tool head and came up with my own  hold down die combination expansion die for 357 sig.  gave the measurements to a machinist didn't take him much at all to make it then I drilled and tapped the fat part of the tool head and put a set screw in it to secure it.  It works perfectly. 

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

5 minutes ago, NicoR said:

Nice machining!

I have the Everglades Ammo one but it is still in its bag. I'm hesitant of installing it because I think that the hole was meant to be clear in case of an accidental primer ignition.

I thought the same thing but  figured I would go ahead with it anyways.  So far so good keeping my fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, tmz said:

I thought the same thing but  figured I would go ahead with it anyways.  So far so good keeping my fingers crossed. 

I'm doing the same thing. I'll probably drill out a hole or make a hollow bolt just in case. I'm digging how deep/consistent the primers are seating now.

10 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

I don't know about EGA, but the Dillon swage hold down die holds the case down for swaging, BUT it also expands the case mouth for bullet seating. Is that what you are looking for?

That would be perfect...if it fitted in the primer station.

Maybe I'll try and engineer something that mounts like the EGA solution and takes a Dillon swage mandrel.

Thanks all.

I think as stated above that the possibility of a primer det in that station precludes putting a die down into the case. I also think its not needed, especially if the two stations on either side of the primer station are populated with dies.

jmho

jj

Eta; i load 9mm, 223, and 308 on my 1050, and see no need for a primer hold down die...jmho

Edited by RiggerJJ

16 hours ago, roxfo said:

Hi,

I was about to order the primer hold-down die from EGA, but they say it's not for use on rifle brass.  Does anyone know of a solution that would work for rifle, specifically .308?  After all, if it reaches the head of a .45 case it should reach a .308, and it's only doing the same job as a swage back-up die.

Does anyone else use the EGA primer hold-down die with .308/rifle brass, or is there another solution that can be purchased or engineered?

Thanks!

The .308 case is too tall. It would impact the lock nut at the top of the die.

I ran the everglades die for a while on 45acp... I agree it's probably not needed with a correctly tensioned shellplate with dies.  Also unless loading brass by specific batch/lot I don't know how helpful it really was due to the variances in brass brands.

• 1 month later...

I run the EGA die on my Mark 7 powered 1050.  I also run the F&F shellplate.  When running at speed using the EGA and have nearly 100% perfect primer insertion.  Without the EGA, I experienced to many crushed primers.  I believe the EGA stabilizes the case in this instance.  For non-automated presses, I don't think it would make much difference.  Not worried at all about a primer detonation with the EGA in place.  Wouldn't be any different in a detonation on a case that was not properly deprimed.  This happened several times on my old Frocht driven machine.