Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA newb question

B_RAD

Why does it cost so much to enter a level two and above match?

I've only shot 3 monthly matches.  Just getting started in USPSA. 

I can see how the cost can be more

than an IDPA match but it seems like the cost is almost twice as much for the ones I've looked at. But to be honest I've only shot in two sanctioned IDPA matches. So, I guess they could be more too?

Seems like $130 is steep. Is it because everything  from the prize table comes from match fees (after the cost to put match on)?

Seems like IDPA gets some if not all their prize table stuff from donantions. 

Edited by B_RAD

MD had to feed and house about 50 staff. Plus buy them a shirt.

Yes, some prize table stuff is bought. Generally BOGO type arrangement.

Often walls, target stands, etc have to  be built.

Sometimes new steel needs purchased.

Targets must be purchased.

USPSA still gets a cut of the match fees too.

Sometimes ranges want something in return for hosting.

etc, etc

Sarge hit the high notes on multi-day matches.  Often shooters only shoot one day, but the staff probably shot on Friday.  So lunch for them for 3 days, usually hotel or a per diem, and shirts and beer (if nice MD)

Some ranges charge a flat fee per shooter (say $15) which includes use of the ranges target stands and props/steel.  Sometimes clubs are at their home range, and need to buy new props/walls or want to take some of the extra money at the end to buy new props for the next year.  Steel does crack and wear out!

Add in having some water on the stages for the shooters, sometimes food and t-shirts are included for the shooters. It sort of depends on the costs and what sort of arrangement can be made with the range, etc.

Brad, you are not ready for Level 2.  Shoot at least 3 dozen local USPSA Level 1 matches, then observe how much effort goes into that. Now a Level 2 match is 10X that effort. Actually a $130 match fee for a Level 2 is, well, basically, ghetto. Try to get into Area 2. 

4 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Brad, you are not ready for Level 2.  Shoot at least 3 dozen local USPSA Level 1 matches, then observe how much effort goes into that. Now a Level 2 match is 10X that effort. Actually a $130 match fee for a Level 2 is, well, basically, ghetto. Try to get into Area 2. 

Straight talk, and some wisdom here.  L2 is a real step up, a different ball game.  

I've seen a number of friends DQ who just weren't ready, and just a few L1s won't do it (especially easier/simpler L1s).  

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

Why wouldn't I be ready?  You think I should shoot 36 local matches first?!  

I'll admit I'm new to USPSA but I'm a decent shooter.  

I'm totally willing to accept advice. 

Edited by B_RAD

Why wouldn't I be ready?  You think I should shoot 36 local matches first?!  

I'll admit I'm new to USPSA but I'm a decent shooter.  

I'm totally willing to accept advice. 

Not sure how your local club match is, but a level 2 all rules will be followed per the book. Your equipment is off a little, you will shoot open. Chrono loads beforehand as well. Do you guys shoot moving targets and memory type stages at your local? You can shoot it with limited experience, but it may kick your ass a bit. My first level 2 was a bit rough, but was a good learning experience. Just make sure you know the rulebook. A guy at the NC sectional last year pulled out his gun on the walk through. It was actually his first ever uspsa match. I didn't witness it, but the RO that sent him packing, told us about it later that day. Im sure you wouldn't be that oblivious though

Daniel K

man, L2 matches are *cheap*, because when I pay to enter one, I don't have to setup, or tear down, or help RO or keep score. All I do is show up and shoot.

fwiw, if you are not setting up and tearing down and RO'ing and keeping score at your local matches, you are a lazy slacker, and might not appreciate the benefit of paying other people to do all the for you. ;)

My advice is you definitely *should* shoot some bigger matches as soon as you understand the rules well enough and are safe enough to not shoot anyone. You will learn alot more at a bigger match because you will have time to watch other much better shooters, and you will have more time to think about your own runs instead of RO'ing or scorekeeping, and you will have time to walk all the stages the day before and get some ideas.

Edited by motosapiens

11 minutes ago, DKnoch said:

Not sure how your local club match is, but a level 2 all rules will be followed per the book. Your equipment is off a little, you will shoot open. Chrono loads beforehand as well. Do you guys shoot moving targets and memory type stages at your local? You can shoot it with limited experience, but it may kick your ass a bit. My first level 2 was a bit rough, but was a good learning experience. Just make sure you know the rulebook. A guy at the NC sectional last year pulled out his gun on the walk through. It was actually his first ever uspsa match. I didn't witness it, but the RO that sent him packing, told us about it later that day. Im sure you wouldn't be that oblivious though

Daniel K

Wow. Yeah, I hope not.   

I actually think people, the more seasoned, forget that new shooters don't know the rules. Something like pulling your gun out during walk through seems obvious (and it kinda is) but some new shooter may think "well it's undloaded, what's the problem "?  

I started shooing IDPA last May. I'm actually an SO and took the RO class after only shooting one local USPSA match. I wanted to learn the rules so I did that. 

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

man, L2 matches are *cheap*, because when I pay to enter one, I don't have to setup, or tear down, or help RO or keep score. All I do is show up and shoot.

fwiw, if you are not setting up and tearing down and RO'ing and keeping score at your local matches, you are a lazy slacker, and might not appreciate the benefit of paying other people to do all the for you. ;)

My advice is you definitely *should* shoot some bigger matches as soon as you understand the rules well enough and are safe enough to not shoot anyone. You will learn alot more at a bigger match because you will have time to watch other much better shooters, and you will have more time to think about your own runs instead of RO'ing or scorekeeping, and you will have time to walk all the stages the day before and get some ideas.

^^^

10 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I don't see how a l2 match is something you need that much experience for. If you are feeling confident that you understand the game and know what to do at your local matches, then go for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

^^^

This too.  If you know the rules and are safe go have fun. 

I may have given the wrong impression with my title. I'm not a newb to guns, safety or shooting. Just only shot a couple of USPSA locals. That's why I asked.  

I'm a MA in IDPA and think I made M (barely 85.15% by my math) in production last weekend. Just waiting until next Tuesday to know for sure. 

Edited by B_RAD

There is absolutely no reason to delay shooting big matches provided you are safe and your equipment is reliable and is division compliant.

Big matches are hugely motivating and will jumpstart your growth as a competitor.

I wish I had started sooner instead of being afraid of the big match Boogeyman.

The rules are all the same, scoring is the same, targets are the same.

Dive in head first.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 9x45 said:

-1 on shooting 33 more matches before you're ready. Absolutely not, go for it.

And how would the lottery system of A2 have anything to do with being a good enough shooter or how much to pay?

17 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Why does it cost so much to enter a level two and above match?

I've only shot 3 monthly matches.  Just getting started in USPSA. 

I can see how the cost can be more

than an IDPA match but it seems like the cost is almost twice as much for the ones I've looked at. But to be honest I've only shot in two sanctioned IDPA matches. So, I guess they could be more too?

Seems like $130 is steep. Is it because everything  from the prize table comes from match fees (after the cost to put match on)?

Seems like IDPA gets some if not all their prize table stuff from donantions. 

Mississippi Section match is $40

That is crap that you need to shoot x number of matches before a level 2.  What you need to have is a good understanding of the rule book, which I hope anyone that is going to any sort of competition would have.  If a person DQs it is because they were too lazy to make sure they knew the rules or to make sure their equipment is appropriate and in good working order.  It sounds like you are doing things right, becoming a SO and a RO.  Go to the match you will learn tons and find out what the next level of competition looks like.

5 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Come shoot A4 in Tulsa, shouldn't be too far for you. Match is almost full, but it is shaping up to be a damn fine one!

I'd like to. Bet that'll be awesome. Tulsa is only an hour and a half away. 

22 hours ago, 9x45 said:

to be fair he is already an experienced IDPA shooter and has shot 2 sanctioned IDPA matches and is a fully bonded IDPA safety officer.

I say rock out!