Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Mark IV 22/45

AzShooter

Recently I bought a new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to use in Steel Challenge Matches in the Rimfire Open Division.  This is an improvement to my standard Competition Target 22/45 Mark III.  I really like the one button disassembly and the weight of the Lite.

The first thing I noticed was that the Magazines needed to be modified to work in the Mark IV.  It’s a simple task, just cut the bottom of the bumper pad flush with the back of the Mark III magazine and you can then use them in both guns.

The only other modifications I made at this time was an Allchin Mount for my C-More Sight with a 12 minute dot and a Tactical Solutions Compensator, as well as new base pads.

For break-in I used 500 CCI Mini Mags and the gun ran flawless.  It ran perfect with all other ammo I tried including CCI Standard Velocity, Federal Auto Match, Blazer, Aguila Super Extra High Velocity and Standard, Wolf Match Extra, and Remington Golden Bullets.

During break –in there were no failure to feed, fire or eject.

Between each ammo change the gun was cleaned with a Bore Snake with M-Pro 7 and lubed with Slide-Glide and EEZOX.

Trigger pull is a little heavy, at 5 pounds 14 onces.  After break-in I will probably use a Volquartsen kit to improve the trigger.

Mark III to Mark IV.jpg

Mark IV 22-45 for posting.jpg

Looks good.  I wish they'd make the Mark IV 22/45 in the Target configuration.  I much prefer the 22/45 to the Mark series.  I love the idea of the takedown button.  I cuss like a sailor every time I take my Mark 3 22/45 apart.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a mk 4 22/45 tactical to run in steel challenge. Its a little heavier than the lite, but a lot cheaper, at least where I live. It was quite a bit lighter than the competition though even though the upper is the same just a slightly shorter barrel.  Still debating on optics for it. I know I want to run it in open division so it'll get a compensator and some sort of red dot or reflex right I'm just not sure which yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking that will be the route I take with mine as well, especially since volquartsen seems to be the only game in town as far as a better trigger goes. what do you think of the victory trigger? im debating just ordering it and the volquartsen trigger kit all at once or trying the stock trigger shoe with the lighter pull and seeing if its worth swapping out after.

still on the fence as far as optics go for it as well, I know I want something up there just haven't decided what yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...