Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timers and Dry Firing (An FYI for Me)

90lxracer

8 hours ago, Foxj66 said:

A timer picks up the sound of a gunshot to time you, it is also giving you the start tone

I do realize that in regards to live fire... but are these timers used for parctice/dry firing? 

Of course the start tone is the start tone, but will it register the hammer / striker fall of a pistol without a round going off? I guess I'm thinking of this in regards to a person who is working on draw reation time, and time to first shot.. without using a live round. 

Timers are picking up the sound wave/impulse during live fire. It will not record anything during dry fire, just not enough sound.

Timer is used for a start signal and par times during dry fire, mainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For dry fire, most timers are not going to pick up the sound the the striker/hammer.  It is most common to use par times (2 beeps - 1 for the start signal and a 2nd at a user-set time).  At the start beep, you try to complete whatever drill you're doing before the 2nd beep.

10 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

I do realize that in regards to live fire... but are these timers used for parctice/dry firing? 

Of course the start tone is the start tone, but will it register the hammer / striker fall of a pistol without a round going off? I guess I'm thinking of this in regards to a person who is working on draw reation time, and time to first shot.. without using a live round. 

Sorry I thought you weren't familiar with timers at all. As stated above for dri fire you are using par times for draws and the like.

• 3 weeks later...