Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun with Cracked slide.

glockman75

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When parts are tuned to the ragged edge of reliability and used beyond their design spec they will fail sooner than later.

+1 I shot the sht out of it!! Lol
It got me 1st B at last National.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand new build.  Test fired 25 rounds to function test it today and came back and found this.

This is the 4th STI slide that has cracked like this on new builds in the last year.  One went 50 rounds and 2 others cracked at around 1k.  I have done the slot cut for years and never experienced a failure until this.  As someone mentioned above,

STI had a problem with slides cracking a few years ago, and I think they do again.

20170224_162548.thumb.jpg.75c13362d74d49b9e3820bc1938dd1e7.jpg

25 rounds is pretty drastic. I'm going to say the only way that can happen is a faulty slide or the slide was hitting the comp. it's impossible to tell from the pic but it looks to have clearance between slide and comp so the likely answer then is faulty slide. :( that sucks having put work into a build that now needs to be done again. Even if the slide is replaced free someone has to eat the cost of the fitting and machining. :(

1 minute ago, BeerBaron said:

25 rounds is pretty drastic. I'm going to say the only way that can happen is a faulty slide or the slide was hitting the comp. it's impossible to tell from the pic but it looks to have clearance between slide and comp so the likely answer then is faulty slide. :( that sucks having put work into a build that now needs to be done again. Even if the slide is replaced free someone has to eat the cost of the fitting and machining. :(

There is .006" clearance between the comp and slide.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't looked at what slides are available in nowadays but...

Why doesn't somebody spend a little extra money on some good stock material(4140 is crap IMO)?  I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I knew it was going to hold up better???

Nick

18 hours ago, fastshooter03 said:

I haven't looked at what slides are available in nowadays but...

Why doesn't somebody spend a little extra money on some good stock material(4140 is crap IMO)?  I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I knew it was going to hold up better???

Nick

I believe that is what Phoenix Trinity is doing.  They are still testing their new slide blanks, but from what I'm reading/hearing they are a better quality. 

I have an STI slide from Binary, so we shall see how that holds up in time. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

On 2/24/2017 at 7:50 PM, jpl said:

Brand new build.  Test fired 25 rounds to function test it today and came back and found this.

This is the 4th STI slide that has cracked like this on new builds in the last year.  One went 50 rounds and 2 others cracked at around 1k.  I have done the slot cut for years and never experienced a failure until this.  As someone mentioned above,

STI had a problem with slides cracking a few years ago, and I think they do again.

20170224_162548.thumb.jpg.75c13362d74d49b9e3820bc1938dd1e7.jpg

Looks like not enough clearance in between the barrel and comp from that angle. 

In any event it cracked with the grain of the steel which is visible in the pic which is how steel parts generally crack in the first place. Not all steel used in manufacturing slides is going to be perfect and without defects.

A good portion of steel used in this country is made in china and not as good as the steel made here which is why some older gun slides still have not cracked after very high round counts.

Companies are worried more about the bottom line than quality nowadays so they buy the cheap stuff and hope it holds up. 

Some slide cuts can accelerate the cracking if the cut goes over or through a defective area but the cuts are not the main cause of the cracking.