Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape

SWprotected

Use the hair dryer, but one caution, be careful on how aggressive the tape is, I just got some on Ebay and I'm telling you it will blister your hands. Get some local at the skateboard shop and make sure it won't remove all of your hide.

2 hours ago, Avedis said:

Ive used a few different grip tapes. Dawson has been the best so far.

https://dawsonprecision.com/1-dawson-precision-grip-tape-for-pistol-frames/

I use the Dawson grip tape. It is definitely aggressive, but nice. I cleaned the grip well with alcohol prior to installing. Heat gun/hair dryer and gripping the gun in all different areas helps it really stick on.

5 hours ago, Kema said:

Any good ebay sellers for quality grip tape? 

It's so hard to get gun parts to EU region. 

Are skate boards legal in the EU? I get my grip tape from skate board shops.

Use an old toothbrush and alcohol to clean surface and let dry. Then use heat gun to warm up the grip and tape. The heat on tape will make it more pliable for the curved surfaces. Sometimes the edges don't stick well, I'll use Slow Jet glue in those spots. It still allow tape to come off without ruining grip later.  

I also prefer the 3m 'safety walk' grip tape over the generic skate tape. One benefit is it doesn't shed nearly as much grit as the generic skate tape does. Some of them shed grit all over the place and you don't want any getting in the gun..

the 3m stuff also seems to have better adhesive on it. 

• 1 month later...

Blood Orange skateboard tape has great adhesive and very aggressive texture. My hands took a while to get used to it, but the gun does not move in your grip.

Regarding application technique, your grip surface must be 100% clean. I use alcohol (90%+) to clean.

The warm grip and tape during application really helps get a good bond. 

Once the tape is completely applied, I wrap the grip with 1 layer of thin paper towel and then use common electrical tape to wrap the entire grip tight.

The paper towel is there to protect your grip tape from getting adhesive from the electrical tape on it.

The electric tape is a little elastic and if you apply it with tight wraps (think mummy), it will hold your grip tape very tight to your grip while its on there setting up.

Also, its good to warm up the whole grip, tape & mummy tape wrap again now. Nothing crazy, but warming it up now and letting it set for a day will help it stay in place until you want to remove it.