Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open Glock optic mount question

WidowsSon683

So I will be building/having built an open glock. My question is has anyone run a slide mounted red dot on ANY open gun and is it better/worse/bout the same as a frame mount. I would really prefer not to have to get a whole new holster just to fit with the carver mount when I have a perfectly good Ernie Hill holster. And before anybody asks, im doing a Glock open instead of 2011 so that it pairs well with the 9mm carbine im going to build.

Have you tried searching all the threads already on this topic? 

Lots of stuff already up for frame vs slide mounted dots.

I'll give you the overall gist. Frame mounted is better and that is widely accepted, don't cheap out if you don't have to.

Edited by JimmyBob

I have had both in open Glocks. Frame is much better and more stable, dot returns faster. That said the slide mount will work. Didn't say if you are shooting major or minor. Get the load right and the slide mounted optic will be OK.

gerritm

4 hours ago, gerritm said:

I have had both in open Glocks. Frame is much better and more stable, dot returns faster. That said the slide mount will work. Didn't say if you are shooting major or minor. Get the load right and the slide mounted optic will be OK.

gerritm

Minor. 

Not sure what you are building, comp, no comp, ported barrel, etc. But I ran a Bobby Carver G-17 built open gun with frame mount C-More just short of major so the comp worked with HS-6 powder. Gun ran great and was very competitive in minor. I used it for USPSA & 3-gun. Very reliable. I now have sn STI DVC open in 9 major. I also have a G-34 with a ported barrel, no comp, with a Burris Fastfire II on the slide. Running 147gr BB with 3.4grs Titegroup. I use it for night matches and some 3-gun. Shoots soft and fairly flat. Not as fast as my DVC or Glock,but still works very well. Can use a standard holster.

gerritm

I run a G34 in open now major PF. It has the Glock MOS thing which is just a cutout for an optic on the slide. I put a Burris fastfire on it initially just to play and with factory ammo I would think it would be fine. I use a carver Hunter mount just for ease of pulling off. I run the same gun for open & 3 gun. Just swap spring, barrel, pull optic and 140mm mags. For major I run 115 MG JHP's with 9.2g of VV 3N38. Shoots great, flat & soft, but I would be leary of running an optic on the slide with major loads. Still a good bit of hit going on. I guess would depend on optic's warranty and  your bravery level. I do understand not wanting to get another holster though. Hope it goes well. 

I've been shooting CO for a dozen or more matches and am building up an open Glock using an SJC Micro Mount...on the frame.  My CO gun is obviously slide mount.  I am REALLY looking forward to trying out my comped, tricked out open Glock.  From my perspective, especially if you are going minor, you ought to simply stick to CO with a slide-mounted optic and wait for open until you go frame-mounted and major.

An open Glock is already at a bit of a disadvantage, no need to go minor, too.

Edited by CHLChris