Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ and shooting classifier

RN826

I was at a match recently where 2 RO's DQ'd a shooter for ammo at the safe area.  Later in the match, he shot the classifier stage "with special permission from the MD/RM". Anyone hear of this happening before?  Also the MD happens to be the section coordinator as well, and it was one of his best friends that was the shooter that was DQ'd

Did he also get to use his open gun in production? If your going to make up the rules might as well go big. 

10.3.1 A competitor who commits a safety infraction or any other prohibited activity during an USPSA match will be disqualified from that match, and will be prohibited from attempting any remaining courses of fire in that match regardless of the schedule or physical layout of the match.

7 hours ago, RN826 said:

I was at a match recently where 2 RO's DQ'd a shooter for ammo at the safe area.  Later in the match, he shot the classifier stage "with special permission from the MD/RM". Anyone hear of this happening before?  Also the MD happens to be the section coordinator as well, and it was one of his best friends that was the shooter that was DQ'd

It is the little known "Buddy Pass" rule.

10.2.2.2.2.9.9.3.4.1.  It is not what you know or follow, i.e. the rules, it's who you know and are buddies with, such as the ROs or the match director.

Have seen a shooter pay extra fees to be allowed to shoot the classifier in more than 1 division. Not sure how this works when there is a dq in one division.

Else, the shooter was punished for the dq, albeit not as thoroughly as normal. Not something high on my list of things to fret over.

49 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

You should name the club and MD.

You should NOT publically name the club and MD ... We really don't need that information.  You SHOULD report eh matter, to include the MD/SC's name to your AD and DNROI.  I strongly believe it will be appropriately investigated and dealt with.

Praise in public, discipline in private ...

21 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

You should NOT publically name the club and MD ... We really don't need that information.  You SHOULD report eh matter, to include the MD/SC's name to your AD and DNROI.  I strongly believe it will be appropriately investigated and dealt with.

Praise in public, discipline in private ...

You are right.... Just sweep it under the rug.

Edited by Maximis228

9 hours ago, RN826 said:

Later in the match, he shot the classifier stage "with special permission from the MD/RM".

Maybe before the Spanish inquisition goes for a nuclear option.

You are saying that he shot the classifier as part of a squad and the score was submitted to USPSA, you are not saying that he was just allowed to shoot off to the side and separate from the match for no score? 

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

You are right.... Just sweep it under the rug.

That deserves a condescending retort ... Though I won't give you the satisfaction.

Reporting it up the chain, through proper channels is NOT sweeping it under the rug.  It is a reasonable and appropriate way to handle the situation.  Creating a kangaroo court here on a public forum is a disservice to the individuals involved and the sport as a whole.

Maybe before the Spanish inquisition goes for a nuclear option.

You are saying that he shot the classifier as part of a squad and the score was submitted to USPSA, you are not saying that he was just allowed to shoot off to the side and separate from the match for no score? 

It was going to be uploaded, but one of the RO's called him after the match and said something, so he changed it and said that he wasn't going to submit the classifier for the shooter, and he claimed he didn't know the shooter was DQ'd which is bull because he was immediately informed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

No reason both cant be done. I find that USPSA, as an Org, isn't very forth coming unless pressure is put on. Public discussions tend to help out quite a bit.

Public discussion is one thing.  Public excoriation is something else.  It is the modern equivalent of a lynch mob.  George is 100% right ... Use the system; or at the very least, don't resort to kangaroo-court mentalities until the system has been given a reasonable chance to work.

Would be interesting to know if any rules were actually broken. As I understand it the person was dq'd , and did not shoot any additional stage except the classifier and that score was not submitted. 

If he shot the classifier as part of the match that would be a no no under 10.3.1 , but if he shot it separate from the match I do not know of any rule that says he can't. 

24 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If he shot the classifier as part of the match that would be a no no under 10.3.1 , but if he shot it separate from the match I do not know of any rule that says he can't. 

I suggest you read 10.3.1 ...

"[...] will be disqualified from that match, and will be prohibited from attempting any remaining courses of fire in that match regardless of the schedule or physical layout of the match."

The Classifier was (presumably) a CoF in that match.  I don't see how that could be any clearer ...

Just now, Schutzenmeister said:

I suggest you read 10.3.1 ...

"[...] will be disqualified from that match, and will be prohibited from attempting any remaining courses of fire in that match regardless of the schedule or physical layout of the match."

The Classifier was (presumably) a CoF in that match.  I don't see how that could be any clearer ...

I read where it says "in that match" :) . 

Aside from the match there is nothing that says the stages can't be shot as many times as desired by anyone who wants to. 

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Yeah, but who wants a MD/RM who gives special treatment to his buds - or even appears to?

I do not know that he did. It is not unheard of to see a MD/RM be nice to a stranger. 

Perhaps something was done that was improper, my only point is that so far I don't see the details in this thread that would allow me to know that.