Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision load development--OAL/jump measurement

yellowfin

What different lengths of jump to the lands do you guys test at when developing precisions loads? (e.g. .10, .050, .025?) I'll be loading for a .30-06, 195 and 208gr Hornady if that makes a difference in your answer. Just about to order an OAL gauge and never used one before but gather that I should.  Do you do test loads in varying lengths before or after dialing in with a powder selection and charge?

Always find your powder charge first and then work with the seating depth.  You mentioned an OAL gauge so I'm assuming that you already have a bullet comparator since ogive to base is the dimension that you're concerned with, and not tip to base.

Most everything that I've read advises starting at .030-.040 off the lands and working in either or both directions from there in .005-.010 increments.

If your rifle is a Remington, you might not be able to load long enough to get that close to the lands as they have long chambers. 

It is a 700 but it's a Douglas barrel finished with a pull through reamer. 

Wow-- the listed load data from Hodgdon says 3.220 and my max length allowed by the mag is 3.710. Looks like this is definitely something I need to measure! 

Edited by yellowfin

Based on your barrel I would probably start at .030 and load up and down in a single .010 increment.  Whichever yields a group tightening, I would continue in that direction in .005 increments until they spread and stop there.  I wouldn't bother going in the other direction.

you may not see a tightening in either direction in which case I would leave it at .030 where you started.

Mag length should be a piece of cake, got over .450 to spare on that.  I have Hornady dies that I like and I see that they offer a micrometer seater to add on.  Any particular deficiency of that versus Redding or similar?