Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 now legal for IDPA ESP?

fastlane604

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Last fall I picked up a used CZC Shadow target to use in USPSA under the assumption is wasn't IDPA legal due to the milling for the rear sight. So ow the Shadow Target is legal in IDPA? Which divisions would a target be legal assuming it is in stock form as shipped from CZC? (I don't have a magwell or anything else on it)

This would be great news and the closest USPSA ranges are an hour away from me where several IDPA ranges are within a half hour. (or used to be)

2 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

Late to the party but I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Last fall I picked up a used CZC Shadow target to use in USPSA under the assumption is wasn't IDPA legal due to the milling for the rear sight. So ow the Shadow Target is legal in IDPA? Which divisions would a target be legal assuming it is in stock form as shipped from CZC? (I don't have a magwell or anything else on it)

This would be great news and the closest USPSA ranges are an hour away from me where several IDPA ranges are within a half hour. (or used to be)

It looks to me like you are legal for ESP.  Rule 8.2.1.2 disqualifies you from SSP because of the slide machining, however rule 8.2.2.2  allows slide machining for sights as legal in ESP.  Since there is no longer a prohibition for the full length dust cover, it looks to me like you are legal for ESP. If you choose, you can add a magwell and be legal for ESP.

Edited by fastlane604

Thank you, Fastlane. I will never understand the IDPA with some of their rules. It is one thing to have rules banning ports in the slide and doing significant work, but to outlaw work needed to install a new sight is just absurd. At least now I can compete more local in one class.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely legal in SSP.  It would even seem that switching to a comp hammer on an SP-01/Shadow is now legal as well as it is used on several production guns in the CZ line.  After 2 years of review/rewrites, one would think that IDPA would provide a set of equipment rules that is easy to understand...guess not.  Maybe it's time they take a page from USPSA's playbook and just publish a list of approved firearms.  Just a thought.