Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 now legal for IDPA ESP?

fastlane604

Thanks to a post by Kells81, I read the IDPA ESP equipment rules for 2017.  There is no longer a dust cover restriction that I can see.  Because of that the SP-01 should be legal for ESP without adhering to the previous rule of, "if it is legal for SSP it is legal for ESP, as long as there are no modifications illegal in SSP" (paraphrased). By being legal without adhering to SSP rules means that the SP-01 will be legal with a magwell, an aftermarket safety and trigger and anything else that is permitted in ESP. Am I on track here? Have I missed something? Let me know quickly because I am getting ready to go have a beer to celebrate.

It was verified in a response by B. Ehler somewhere in one of the post I had asking about it.  You no longer have to get to ESP through SSP with the SP-01 so the Accu is legal for ESP.   Hell any legal thing you do to the SP-01 now to go to ESP is legal (inclusive list).  Before the issue was the bushing or sight milling made it non legal for SSP so it wasnt legal for ESP.  You can in theory run a SAO SP-01 or Shadow now also in ESP.  

I don't know what else the rulebook says because I stopped reading there as its a big improvement.  The messed up part it was a few days after I sold my Edge or I would have thrown a bushing barrel in that bad boy and try to make weight.    They took the FLDC issue out of ESP and CDP so if you wanted to even run something like a Les Baer Monolith you could if it made weight.   

Edited by kells81

5 minutes ago, Balakay said:

what makes the Edge's barrel a "Bull Barrel" but  the SP-01 is not??

The SP-01 barrel is the same diameter throughout and there is an internal bushing in the slide. 

Edited by fastlane604

8.2.2.2.h states "internal" accuracy work can be done. 

Not sure if theyd consider the bushing to be external? I think they would. 

Saying that, read below. 

8.2.2.3 ESP Excluded Features and Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
A. Removal of material from the exterior of the slide other than front cocking serrations, tri-top, engraving, carry

melts, and high power cuts. 

I asked if slide cutouts from the factory are legal. They quoted this section. I asked how the Glock 34 is legal. 

I've gotten now answer. 

So, it seems like some rules mean different things for different guns. 

Edited by B_RAD

he's not talking about an accu shadow. he's talking about the regular old run of the mill sp01 shadow like i've been shooting for years in idpa at dozens of major matches and multiple nationals. the gun i've been DC with multiple times in ssp.

now that the ssp into esp clause is gone and the fldc language is gone from esp then i agree, if you can make weight and fit in the box then go for it on tricking out a sp01 shadow for esp.

8.1.2 A.Any firearm that can be used in SSP can be used in ESP or CDP, depending upon the cartridge used

Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)

Handguns permitted for use in ESP must:A.Be semi-automatic.B.Use9mm (9x19)or largercartridgesC.The unloaded firearm with the heaviest magazine must weigh 43.00oz.or less.D.The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 15/8

8.2.2.2 A allows you to mill for other sights as well, meaning to me that Target models are now good to go as well.

Make weight, fit in box, good to go.

The big question is will the gun make weight with a magwell? I no longer have a 75/85/sp01 sized magwell to weigh and a quick check of czc and sp doesn't show them listing the weights.

And if you're cheap, you can make the stock 18rnd, plastic base pad magazines work with a magwell by just trimming them (the plastic basepad) down, shortening their height.

I think I mentioned the Accu because it was the specific gun that the question was asked towards Brian.   

The SP-01, Shadow, and Shadow target are good to go without a doubt.   Here is my SP-01 on a scale.  It has the factory mag and Cajun internals along with CZ custom sights.   Right around 40oz give or take.  How much does the magwel weigh in general?

IMG_5577.JPG

My CZC aluminum magwell weighs 1.5 oz on my cheap little postage scale. I don't have a scale large enough to weigh the gun and magwell together but with a 40 oz gun and a 1.5 oz magwell plus the little bit that the aluminum base pad's weigh, it should come in below 43.

6 hours ago, philippshen said:

shadow with magwell will make the weight, even with CZC extended barrel

IMG_3168.JPG

I bet reloads can be done while sleeping with a magwell on there!  For me, CZ are already easy to reload.   

On 2/21/2017 at 4:38 PM, B_RAD said:

I bet reloads can be done while sleeping with a magwell on there!  For me, CZ are already easy to reload.   

Lol, maybe not as easy as modified tanfo magwell, I wish we can do the same kind of bevel to CZs 

Edited by philippshen

• 1 month later...

It looks similar to one that someone stuffed in a box on Stage 11 at GCC.   I was wondering if it would fit myself but he put it in and closed the lid.   He didn't fair so well after but he at least got the gun with a magwell in the box.   

• 3 weeks later...