Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 38S better to convert to 38SC?

taxil343

I also just started with open and I am using 38 super/comp.

I was concerned with the 9mm load spilling powder on my 650 and all of the "Dangerous" comments about 9mm major.  

But to be honest, I have not loaded 9 major on my press so I am only speculating about that.  

I have tried HS-6, and I just got some AA#7 loaded up and i will be testing that tonight.  I can't bring myself to spend the money on the VV powders when I am already buying Starline brass.  But your mileage may vary.

Just my .2 cents from some limited experience.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Sporky said:

I also just started with open and I am using 38 super/comp.

I was concerned with the 9mm load spilling powder on my 650 and all of the "Dangerous" comments about 9mm major.  

But to be honest, I have not loaded 9 major on my press so I am only speculating about that.  

I have tried HS-6, and I just got some AA#7 loaded up and i will be testing that tonight.  I can't bring myself to spend the money on the VV powders when I am already buying Starline brass.  But your mileage may vary.

Just my .2 cents from some limited experience.

Sporky - please don't be concerned with "danger warnings" about 9 major.  If you've been loading for any time and know how loading works, it shouldn't be a problem.  We have to follow the same safety procedures for any load we do and need to be careful regardless what we're loading.  9 major is fine, in the right barrel and gun (like modern 2011 barrels, which have "fully supported" chambers).  You just don't have as much flexibility as 38sc, but that's true with other cartridges, too. 

18 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

Super with AA#7 and either 115 or 124 grain bullets is a nice combination.  I doubt you will be disappointed. 

I use 3n38 with both 38sc and 9 major, as the preferred load for both  It doesn't overflow the case at all (couldn't load it if it did) and is probably slightly compressed.  No undue pressure signs.

I've tried AA7 in 38sc and 9 major, with 124 gr PD bullets.  It's about the same speed as 3n38 but is definitely dirtier, and pretty dirty compared to 3n37 and also WAC & HS6.  I got better dot tracking with 3n38 (in my gun, a 5" with 3 popple holes, 3-chamber/5-port comp, and moderate FP stop angle). 

Looking at cost, in 38sc I needed about 10.4 gr to get a 172 PF.  With 3n38 I use 9.8 gr and get 172 PF.  Using more AA7 the cost difference isn't that much, about $15/k for rounds costing $170/k (if you use the Starline brass 5 times before leaving it on the range).   The same was true for 9 major, using a little less powder. 

Between the dirt residue and the cost, I'm using 3n38 for matches (and HS6 for practice in the 38 and WAC in the 9, as each gun has different preferences).  That's just me.  Everyone should use what they like. 

My first load was HS6 and I saw another user say  that AA#7 was cleaner so that is why I am giving it a try.  

This is my first open gun, so I don't have a frame of reference as to what is "dirty" or not.  It just seemed that the HS6 was causing the dot to get dirty so I guess that I decided that it was a dirty load because of that.

I will see if I can find some other powders to try before I stick with one.  That is my usual method. I do some work in the beginning  and find one I like and then never change.

Long live the Dark Side!

On 2/20/2017 at 4:23 PM, Bamboo said:

Just an FYI - reaming a 9mm to 38 super/supercomp is not a great way to go.  The dimensions at the base of 9mm is larger so your brass will bulge.  If you want a 38 super/supercomp get a barrel that was reamed for it (with a 38 super Nonte reamer) and then adjust or change your extractor to run super or supercomp.   

So you are calling out Schumann, STI ,KKM and any other manufacturer that sells a short chambered .355 barrel as not knowing what they are doing.. That pretty much leave the Schumann AET and BarSto finish chambered barrels as the only barrels that are correct using your logic. 

Edited by 2011BLDR

3 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

So you are calling out Schumann, STI ,KKM and any other manufacturer that sells a short chambered .355 barrel as not knowing what they are doing.. That pretty much leave the Schumann AET and BarSto finish chambered barrels as the only barrels that are correct using your logic. 

Is he? Really?

On 2/20/2017 at 4:23 PM, Bamboo said:

Just an FYI - reaming a 9mm to 38 super/supercomp is not a great way to go.  The dimensions at the base of 9mm is larger so your brass will bulge.  If you want a 38 super/supercomp get a barrel that was reamed for it (with a 38 super Nonte reamer) and then adjust or change your extractor to run super or supercomp.   

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

Is he? Really?

yes  A finish reamer has Zero effect on the rear of the chamber when used:

"reaming a 9mm to 38 super/supercomp is not a great way to go.  The dimensions at the base of 9mm is larger so your brass will bulge"

The rear chamber dimension is set by the manufacturer. typicality it is set to the low end of 9x19 ( .0391 -.007 = .384) .38 supper is .384 -.006 = .378

The tolerances of 9x19 9x23 and .38 Super over lap that is why the a short chambered .355 barrel is sold and works.

2011BLDR - I'm not calling out anybody.   Starting with a .355 short chambered barrel is different than starting out with a barrel already reamed for 9mm Luger. 

The question was is it better to start with a 38 super barrel and tune the extractor to 38SC or to ream a 9mm Luger barrel with a 38 super reamer and run 38 SC. 

The 9mm is a tapered case and is larger in diameter towards the head of the case.  I have reamers for both and that is how they are also.   Every 9mm chamber I have is larger than the .388" at chamber mouth of the typical super chamber.  By how much is a function of the finish chamber reamer used (or machining) by the manufacturer of the barrel.   I've had 38 supers that were reamed from 9mm lugar and they worked and functioned fine but they bulged the brass and it was a PIA with lots of losses during resizing and reloading because of the bulged cases. 

Given the choices the OP asked for,  the answer is to go with a barrel already reamed for 38 super.  

And yes, I have barrels from Schuemann and others that started life as .355 short chambers. When they are reamed to 9mm lugar some material is shaved from the chamber mouth.  For that matter when they were reamed to 38 super some material was removed.   Short chambered so you can finish ream to your specs, and that may be match tight.     

I stand by my statement. 

On 2/22/2017 at 11:47 PM, FullMetalJacket said:

Does the trubore have popple holes? If not you may want to load 3n37... I run 8.3 in my dvc's with 124jhp pd's. 1.250oal 

No popper holes. Any particular reason why you chose 37 over 38?

On 2/22/2017 at 9:22 PM, taxil343 said:

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much set on PD 124gr JHPs so that's spot on!

I tried blue bullets, but I ended up getting much better groups with PD's.  I think I was pushing them with HS-6.  I've got some of that and WAC you can try if you'd like.  I'll check my load data when I get home.

I've also got some 38 RL and TJ brass you can have to see if it will work in your gun.

15 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I tried blue bullets, but I ended up getting much better groups with PD's.  I think I was pushing them with HS-6.  I've got some of that and WAC you can try if you'd like.  I'll check my load data when I get home.

I've also got some 38 RL and TJ brass you can have to see if it will work in your gun.

Thanks Brant. That would be great. 

On 2/23/2017 at 0:22 AM, BeerBaron said:

Even without holes 3n38 would still be my choice for 38 super. The trubore has a pretty reasonable comp. 

if you start at say 8.8gn 3n38 with the 124pd jhp at 1.235 then chrono and test from there. So where around 9-9.2gn should give a power factor your after. 

What's your reasoning behind this? I'm curious because I have found a local place where I can buy 3n37 for $105/4lb jug. 

They may have 3n38 for the same price? It comes in 4lb jugs too. 

3n38 is slower burning than 3n37. The slower burning powder gives more gas and lower pressure spike. 37 to me feels snappier. It also burns hotter. I would say 37 is not a bad option for 9mm but for super 38 is the way to go. It was specifically made by vv for 38 super ipsc style open loads. 

2 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

They may have 3n38 for the same price?

3n38 is slower burning than 3n37. It was specifically made by vv for 38 super ipsc style open loads. 

Chalk 3n38 up for another reason to shoot super. It cost more for a reason... because it is The Shit. I run it exclusively in my Super guns. VV 3n38 is a no brainer. 

On February 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM, taxil343 said:

No popper holes. Any particular reason why you chose 37 over 38?

I shot 5lbs of 38 off the bat and liked it. A friend suggested that it's too slow and 37 would be a better load with no holes. I bought a lb and made some loads. I knew it after the first mag. Sold the 38 and loaded up on 37. I've since made a steel load for minor with my steel master. Used 37 and same 124. Gun runs super flat at 136pf

What about using VV powder for match loads only?

I found the AA#7 is a bit more accurate than the hs6 load I had. Maybe because it is a tiny bit hotter?

My 650 already spills enough powder. I can only I imagine the spillage with a nearly full 9 case...

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2017 at 3:17 PM, 2011BLDR said:

yes  A finish reamer has Zero effect on the rear of the chamber when used:

"reaming a 9mm to 38 super/supercomp is not a great way to go.  The dimensions at the base of 9mm is larger so your brass will bulge"

The rear chamber dimension is set by the manufacturer. typicality it is set to the low end of 9x19 ( .0391 -.007 = .384) .38 supper is .384 -.006 = .378

The tolerances of 9x19 9x23 and .38 Super over lap that is why the a short chambered .355 barrel is sold and works.

I'm in the process of refreshing a nice, but well used, open gun and just got the replacement barrel and thought I'd post the "before reaming"  info.   It is a Schuemann .355 short chamber and measures about 0.379" at the chamber mouth, before any reaming.  Attached is a photo.  That is a u-die'ed 9mm in as far as it will go, a u-die'ed .38 super won't even enter the pre-reamed chamber as the case wall on the .38 super is slightly thicker at the case mouth than a 9mm.   Also, just as a data point the short chamber is about 15mm deep.  

So, when this chamber is reamed I'm hoping material from the rear (mouth) of the chamber will indeed be removed.   ;)

short chamber schuemann.JPG

On 2/15/2017 at 1:38 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

I think Max is sponsored by C-More as well. Shooting an RTS2 on a Sig gun would make both sponsors happy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The only reason 9major exists is to save money and even that is questionable.  If 38 SC brass was the same high availability and low cost as 9mm brass, 9 Major would not exist.  You made an excellent choice going with SC.  

The only reason 9major exists is to save money and even that is questionable.  If 38 SC brass was the same high availability and low cost as 9mm brass, 9 Major would not exist.  You made an excellent choice going with SC.  

In what world is it questionable? It is an undisputable fact that 9 major is cheaper. "But I can shoot my 38 brass eleventybillion times, then it is the same cost as buying once fired 9mm!!" Except that you don't have to EVER buy a piece of 9mm, so it can't ever be the same cost.